Naruto vs. Neji: Destiny vs. Determination, Believe It!

Naruto looks around for Sasuke, who hasn't shown up, and Shikamaru wonders why Dosu hasn't shown up as well. The Anbu also start looking for Sasuke. The "Fourth Kazekage" arrives with his bodyguards, and the Third Hokage commences the final exam. The Hokage also says that I get a pass, since I was going to fight Dosu, but he's "disqualified." Genma announces that the first match will be Naruto vs. Neji. Before the match starts, Naruto repeats what he said before, that he will defeat Neji. Neji says that Naruto will be the one to lose. The match begins with Naruto throwing a few kunai but missing Neji. He then attacks Neji directly, only to be easily dodged. Neji attacks Naruto with Gentle Fist but misses Naruto's tenketsu. Neji says that Naruto has no chance of winning, but Naruto counters saying he was only testing how strong Neji is. Naruto uses Shadow Clone Technique and attacks with groups of clones, but Neji skillfully makes short work of them. The real Naruto remains standing, with Neji saying that fate is determined at birth and being Hokage is chosen by destiny. Naruto gets angry at Neji's cruel words and concludes that he doesn't give up so easily, with the ending shown Naruto using Multiple Shadow Clone Technique.

Iruka worries about Naruto since he is fighting Neji Hyūga. Outside of the battle arena, Kabuto kills an Anbu in order to impersonate him as a disguise. Naruto's clones fails to hit Neji, and Neji aims for what he believes is the real Naruto, but is unsuccessful. Then Naruto uses more clones of himself to attack Neji, only to fail when Neji uses the Eight Trigrams Palms Revolving Heaven. Hiashi and Hinata are shocked to see it, since it is a move taught only to the main branch of the Hyūga clan. Naruto makes seven more clones, which encircle Neji, and charges at him again, only to be repelled once more by Neji's revolving technique. Neji then takes the Eight Trigrams Sixty-Four Palms stance, which surprises Hiashi (since this technique is an elite move exclusive only to the strongest of the Hyūga main branch) and proceeds to strike all of Naruto's sixty-four chakra points. Genma then walks up to the two to determine whether the match is over or not. Kiba then asks Hinata if she is okay, since Hinata is coughing up blood. 

Neji is surprised that Naruto is still conscious following the attack. Naruto feels dizzy but remembers when Lee and Hinata had critical injuries due to their matches, but still managed to stand up and continue giving it their all. Naruto manages to get back on his feet, shocking Neji. Naruto then asks about the Hyūga clan and Neji's hatred for it. Neji takes off his forehead protector and reveals the Hyūga Main Family's Juinjutsu. Neji then explains about the cursed seal and the circumstances surrounding his father's death and the Hyūga clan's branch family and says that Naruto's fate in their match was already decided when Naruto was chosen as his opponent.

As the fight progresses, Naruto and Neji argue about the outcome of their match fate being predetermined. After that, Neji strikes down Naruto with several hits, and tells the examiner that he should call the match. After having all his own chakra closed off, Naruto manages to access the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox's chakra. Neji and Naruto then face off once more, Naruto now being able to move fast enough and strike hard enough to avoid Neji's attacks. The pair then clash, creating a massive explosion in the arena. 

As the dust settles, two holes are seen in the ground; Neji crawls up out of the first one. Neji walks to the second hole and mocks Naruto, who is lying there seemingly unconscious. However, that Naruto turns out to be a shadow clone and the real Naruto, having dug a hole underground, surprises Neji with an uppercut from below, hitting Neji right in the jaw. The attack leaves Neji unable to move, and Genma announces Naruto as the winner of the match.

Genma announces that Naruto is the winner. Sakura resolves to get stronger too because she envies Naruto and his strength. Asuma, Kurenai Yūhi, and the Third Hokage are all surprised to see that Naruto was able to control the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox's chakra on command. After some medical-nin take Neji into a room to treat his injuries, Hiashi Hyūga comes in the room, asking for some time alone. Hiashi then hands him a scroll, and Neji realises it is in his father's handwriting. The scroll then described the truth that took place during the Hyūga Affair many years ago. Despite the elders wanting Hizashi to die in Hiashi's place in order to seal away the Byakugan, Hizashi stated that he wanted to die of his own free will, not to protect the Head Family, but to protect his brother and their village.

Hiashi then bowed his head to Neji, begging for his forgiveness. Neji then asked his uncle to raise his head, and proclaimed his goal was to become stronger. After many complaints that Sasuke was late against his match with Gaara, the Third Hokage decides to disqualify Sasuke. However, "The Fourth Kazekage" tells the Third Hokage that many of the other village's leaders and daimyō have come to Konoha for the sole purpose of watching the sole surviving Uchiha face off against Suna's very own Gaara; hearing this, the Third Hokage decides to postpone Sasuke's match. Kankurō's match is thus moved up, but he forfeits his match with Shino Aburame, not wanting to reveal Karasu's inner workings to Konoha, thus allowing Shino to win by default. With Kankurō's withdrawal, the next match is set to begin, between Temari and Shikamaru Nara.

Though initially unwilling, Shikamaru fights Temari because he refuses to lose to a girl. Shikamaru quickly studies the arena and its elements and comes up with a plan. Despite this, Temari has seen Shikamaru's primary attack in action and knows how it works. It appears that Temari is able to evade Shikamaru's technique and adapt to his tactics; however Shikamaru had been luring her to the tunnel Naruto created in the previous match. Shikamaru catches her in his trap through use of the tunnel and clearly has won, but he forfeits at the last second, claiming to have exerted too much chakra in capturing Temari to continue the match, also adding that if he continued and won, it would just mean more work.