Chapter 1- The Invitation

Kenneth P.O.V.

I hear my father calling me as I stroll down a hallway in the castle that seems to go on for an eternity. I walk into his office I see him sitting behind his desk hunched over some papers. His head snaps up when he hears me walk in, instantly he smiles. He is always a happy person, with a big smile on his face.

I hope to be this happy when I am older. I also hope to find my mate, but the mind-boggling question that keeps me up at night often is. 'who is she? '

My dad breaks me out of my thought by asking the question I get eveytime I see anyone," How is the mate search going?" I sigh and run my hand through my light chestnut hair.

What do I tell him? The same thing I tell everyone else." Okay, I guess."

My father's smile fades. Only a little. " Well son I have good news for you. I just had Chase (our butler) mail off letters to every 16 to 19 year-old girl in the kingdom inviting them to come to a masquerade ball, for you to find your mate." He said, his smile never fading.

But, I on the other hand am in total shock. How could my own father not tell me about this?

"Really?" I respond with a shocked tone. I can't believe this. My human self is nervous and screaming, ' talk him out of it.' While my wolf self is jumping for joy thinking about finding our mate. Our other half.

"Really." My father replies, "And it is in two days." I want to say ' well thanks for the notice. Father. ' But in the moment I am to shocked to say anything. I just walk out of his office down three halls to my room.

I fall onto my king sized bed and lay there thinking about my father's carelessness in how I might feel. How its going to be if I have to tell a girl that they are not my true mate. Or how stressed everyone is going to get over preparing.

I wonder if he invited the people from the slum sectors? I'm guessing yes because he invited the whole kingdom.

This is a promise for disaster.

Rose P.O.V.

I look at my mom again and open my mouth to speak before I get the chane little 6-year-old Josie or Jo jumps into mom's arms blathering about some cool new toy she saw on T.V.

I leave the kitchen and take the letter to the girl's room (there is a boy's room the next door down where my older brother John who is 19 , 13-year-old Mathew, and last but not least 9-year-old Jake stay.) where Jo, Wendy who is 15, 3 years yonger than me. I sleep in there as well.

I walk over to my twin sized bed which is shoved in the farthest corner along with a small scratched wooden side table. I sit on my creaking old wooden framed bed. I take a deep breath and tear open the letter it says:

Dear Jones family,

    By order of the king all sixteen year old to nineteen year old girls must attend the masquerade ball, as the prince is still looking for his princess.

You must send your daughter or daughters on December 16. A car will be there to
transport you to the castle at 6:00 p.m. Please wear your nicest attire. Dresses.
Masks Will be provided. See you soon!

(If questions call ***-***-****)

Signed,
The Palace

I drop the letter on the white chipped side table and stare at the worn out quilt covering my bed and trace its intricate stitching as I think.

Two days. How can I prepare for something like this in two days? Thanks for the notice. I need to make some phone calls. Now.

Here is the first chapter. Thoughts????

Vote. Comment. Follow

-A.G.