The Sauna Test - [Pt.2 - FINAL PART]

We were at the pool right now, where Billy worked.

I purposefully kept my distance from the others by a few inches.

Max was looking at him with binoculars.

"I don't know, he seems pretty normal to me." Max said.

"Normal?" Lucas questioned. "How many times have you seen him with a shirt on?"

"I mean, it's a little weird." Max admitted.

"More than a little." Mike said. "He was in a tub with ice. The Mind Flayer likes it cold. Plus everything else--"

"But he's lounging at the pool, which is, like, the least Mind Flayer thing ever." Max said.

"Not necessarily." Will said. Everyone looked at him. The Mind Flayer likes to hide. He only used me when he needed me. It's like... like you're dormant. And then, when he needs you, you're activated." He said, looking at a very odd, and covered up Billy.

"Okay, so we just..." Max began. "Wait until he gets activated."

"No. What if he hurts someone?" Mike stated.

"Or kills someone." Will stated.

"We can't take that chance." Mike said. "We need to find out if he's the host." Then he started leaving, everyone else trailing behind him.

"Where are you going?" Max asked.

"I have an idea. Boys only!" Mike yelled.

"Seriously?!" Max asked.

"Just trust me on this one!"

Max rolled her eyes.

I tried not to look.

"So. Pyrokinesis, huh?" Max said, looking away, clearly lowkey angry.

"Look, I'm sorry--"

"For a whole year?" She interrupted.

I stayed quiet.

"Friends don't lie." I heard El say. She seemed like she was trying to stay strong, but was lowkey hurting inside.

"I swear you guys weren't supposed to find out this way--" I said.

"Well then how were we?" Max snapped.

I didn't answer. I felt a small tear managing to squeeze out my eye, and wiped it away before anyone could see.

My skin around my eyes was still irritated, and I could feel that it was red.

My eyes also stung from crying so much last night, and this morning, before... all this.

"Why do you lie?" El asked.

"I just-- I never had the chance to say anything!" I said.

"But you had a whole year!"

"Let's just say I gave up, okay?" I said.

Max scoffed, and El followed, doing the same.

-

El went inside to get stuff, and Max and I were in an awkward silence, until Max decided to turn the walkie on.

"Mike!"

"YEAH!" He shouted through the walkie.

"Where are you guys?"

"I'm coming. Just... hold on a second."

Then she put it down and looked at Billy again through the binoculars.