World 1.9: Chen Xinyi

Her father rushed to his love to support her frail body back to her chair. She was weak with worry for Hui Shan. Hui Shan was only slightly sick when she went out with Wang Wei and Zhang Yong came for a meal together. However, she soon began feeling very ill halfway through their meal so Wang Wei brought an imperial physician to her house to treat Hui Shan. 

It was reported that it was a poison that would be masked as a very bad cold and would have killed Hui Shan if she really treated it like a normal cold. This kind of insidious ploys were more commonly seen in the back palace. That was how the imperial physician had the experience to quickly identify the real problem. 

The poison was made by feeding a person an strong inedible herb that was supposed to be used for making salves instead. The exact same herb that Xinyi was still experimenting on. 

Zi Yao forcibly held back the smirk threatening to form on her lips then pretended to wonder aloud, "Could it be... Xinyi jiejie, you've really done something to Hui Shan jiejie? I know you've said before that you were jealous of Hui Shan jiejie because Zhang Yong paid a lot of attention to her but I didn't expect that you'd really do something in the end..."

"Pardon me, but I really do not understand what all of you are saying." Xinyi continued to be calm as if she had not been slapped so hard that a red hand imprint was left on her face.

"You're still pretending to be innocent?! What's with everything in the back of your courtyard?!" Her father yelled out.

"A stove and my garden. What's wrong with them? Hui Shan meimei has her own private kitchen too, isn't it? Mine's not even a kitchen but a mere stove."

"Xinyi jiejie... You don't have to act anymore... All the evidence has been found. You're growing the herb used to harm Hui Shan jiejie and your pot still had traces of it. Your stove was still warm too."

Xinyi inwardly sighed. Is everyone here stupid? Which culprit will leave such evidence lying about waiting to be found? She could not fathom how everyone's minds worked so simply. Just simple book characters acting out their roles...

Suddenly Xinyi remembered someone who had seemed a little like an oddball. She looked straight at Zhang Yong and they made eye contact. However, his eyes held doubt. I told you, BaoBao, to never rely on a book's character.

Not yet! He'd probably say something to defend you! BaoBao did not want to give up hope yet.

"Prove it to me, bring me to all the supposed evidence against me." Xinyi requested.

"You! Impudent!" Her father yelled.

"Let's just do as she says. I'd like to see how she defends herself. The more she defends herself, the harsher the punishment should be if she's the culprit in the end." Wang Wei suddenly spoke up with a dark look in his eyes.

The group headed to the back of her courtyard. She saw her plants that were still being experimented on untouched. They still needed 1 more month before reaching full maturation. However, there was new hole in her plot of edible herbs. Her stove was indeed used and still had burnt wood in it. For anyone not acting according to the script, it was obvious these were all planted evidences. 

He knows the garden only has edible herbs! He should defend you now! You're his BaoBei after all! BaoBao was already looking forward to seeing the true culprits getting dragged out. 

I don't need him to know who are the culprits. It's Zi Yao making use of the first concubine's daughter. Also, I'll bet that Zhang Yong will be the one to deal the final blow and exact punishment like how the story would usually progress.