World 1.11: Chen Xinyi

Xinyi arrived at the sitting room to see her parents and the main wife waiting for her. She greeted all of them properly with a curtsy.

"Xinyi, are you all better now?" Her mother asked her.

"Yes, thank you for your concern."

Ptooy! How fake. She did not even say anything in your defense when you were being accused! BaoBao raged.

"Now that Mei Ruo's funeral is completed, we can move on with our plan. As a sincere apology to you, we have decided to marry you into an affluent family where you can live comfortably and not be neglected or schemed against any longer." The main wife was the one speaking. Xinyi wondered if Zi Yao was the person who put this idea into their heads.

Xinyi! Be careful! This is another crucial event in the original soul's life! BaoBao warned her.

"Thank you for your kind thought but your daughter is happy living in this household, you don't have to do this." Xinyi rejected respectfully.

"Don't be rude! It's rude to reject others' kind intentions." Her mother lightly chided. When she heard who they intended to marry Xinyi to, her eyes glowed with greed picturing the dowry that she would receive for marrying Xinyi off.

"Xinyi, you're already 17 years old. It's about time for you to get married anyway. Fulfill your duty as a daughter of this family." Her father spoke up.

As if any of you fulfilled the role of her parent! How can some people be so thick skinned?! Giving nothing but asking for everything in return. BaoBao retorted indignantly.

Knowing there was no way out of this marriage, she gracefully accepted the offer with thanks then returned to her courtyard. BaoBao, it's time to explore the town.

For the next two days before Zhang Yong came again, she studied geography and maps intensely. She also made plans to read about the history of the wars and conflicts so that she could identify which was the safest area besides the capital that was heavily guarded.

When Zhang Yong arrived in the late afternoon, he felt her presence in her room. He knocked and entered her room with her approval. He saw that she was reading at the table. Doesn't she normally read at the cherry blossom tree? Then he remembered how the previous ploy was made possible because of that. He went sullen again. If he had been more careful, she would not have to suffer. 

Xinyi closed her book. "You're early. I thought that you'd come after the sun sets." 

"It's out of habit..."

Xinyi thought for awhile. "Commander Zhang, can you tell me all about the conflicts this country has?"

What got her interested in war and politics? It was surprising that a woman would show an interest in such things. "Sure, but why?"

"You won't have to teach me if you need to know the reason to do so."

"No, no. Forget that I asked."

"Then, is it also okay to increase the intensity of our training?"

"But you just recovered..."

"I'm fine."

"...If you say so." Zhang Yong did not have the heart to deny her whatever she wanted. He felt like he owed her.

Days passed and 2 months flew by.

Their routine was largely back to when he first agreed to help her with the experiment. He would come in the afternoon to teach her about whatever she wanted to know about, then practice martial arts with her when the sun began to set.