World 5.18: Eva

After Saddie did as promised, Dylan hesitantly voiced what had been slightly bugging him since Esmeralda's question to Saddie. "Austin... You do love Esmeralda, right?"

While everyone looked at Dylan either weirdly or in surprise, Austin frowned at suddenly being called out only to be asked a weird question. "What?"

"It doesn't sound like Esmeralda is sure of your love. After all that she's been through, I'd like to give her a peace of mind, if possible." He sounded a little timid but his face reflected his determination.

Austin felt irritation building up inside him. Somehow he did not like all this talk about his feelings and engagement with Eva right behind him listening to it all. Before he could say anything, Esmeralda jumped in to pull Austin to the side. "Austin, Austin, I have to speak to you."

Once they were both standing apart from everyone else, Esmeralda stood in front of Austin then pulled him down lower by his arm so that she could whisper into his ear. "What do you honestly think about the engagement issue that our parents decided by themselves? Since we're still here, if we decide to call if off, we can just tell our parents."

He frowned in disbelief at her actions. He did not know he should interpret her actions now. In a way, she was behaving as defiant as usual, like nothing changed. In fact, it was as if she got more brazen and used this chance to address the engagement she has never been happy about. If he gave her the benefit of doubt, perhaps behaving this way was her way of coping. 

Seeing the judgmental expression on Austin's face, she explained herself. "Don't get the idea. It's just that Dylan reminded me of the engagement. To be honest, I had completely forgotten about it. Meeting you simply became a routine and fun thing to do as friends." She smiled sheepishly.

"... How... How're you acting like this? And why? Your parents died not too long ago, you know? And the person responsible for their deaths is right there. Not only did you forgive her, you're acting like nothing's wrong!" Austin was barely holding himself back from shouting.

She stared into his eyes without blinking. Gradually, a soft and sad expression showed on her face that made Austin take a step back instinctively.

"You still haven't gotten over your parents' death, have you?"

"Who would?" He asked in a dark manner.

Esmeralda let go of his arm then looked off into the distance with the cold breeze blowing. "Who would, huh... I don't know if what I feel now is considered moving on, but, I feel... Settled. Or resigned. I don't really know how to describe this. I just suddenly felt this way while I was pondering over how I should deal with Saddie earlier. What about you? From the way you spoke, you're someone who would annihilate generations of the family who did you wrong, wouldn't you?"

Austin did not deny it.

Esmeralda continued to speak. "Then why didn't you kill Eva? From what I see, you're even treating her well, aren't you? Even if her hands weren't dirtied, she did keep everything from us till the end." She looked into his eyes as if to challenge him.

Austin gritted his teeth hard as she touched his sore spot. However, he could not find it in him to argue back. She was right.

"You feel something for her, don't you?" 

Her sudden question threw him off. He did not expect to be seen through just like that. "It's-"

"It's the same for me, Austin. I cannot forget the memories and bond I have formed with Eva, just as I cannot forget my time with Saddie. Saddie may behave like a brat but it's a cover for her fear of being abandoned and alone. I know that she went overboard this time and that the devastating consequences cannot be undone." Tears welled up in her eyes again.