Part Nineteen - Toughen up Buttercup

(Your POV, 1971)
The cold winters day brewed up in the grey sky as you walked across London's dirty streets, Bucky was by your side and you where on your way to a mission but not yet in phase 3. Your head was buzzing with the incident that happened only last night... the orphanage... everyone inside dead... the Starks orphanage... you did that.

You turned your head towards a man who was facing a large crowd of men and women holding up a newspaper. "Starks orphanage burnt down! Everyone inside announced dead!" He yelled to the crowd as there faces morphed into shock and sadness. "Those poor children" you heard a lady mumble only metres from where you where walking.

You looked back down too the ground as you could feel Bucky's gaze on you "is that guilt I sense y/n?" He questions as you look back to the man announcing the incident. "I do not feel guilty Bucky, I have learnt better then that" you say avoiding his eye contact knowing he would see right through you, "whatever you say" he mumbles.

"A picture of the person who burnt the orphanage down has been found! It is blurry but authorities say it is presumed to be a young woman and if anyone finds her they will be awarded a great deal of money!" He then says as you stop walking and turn to look at the picture your heart racing.

A young woman then turns around and glances at you ever so slightly as you pull your hood further over your head, a moment of realisation hit her as you stared back to the ground. "Her, it's her! You evil child!" She yelled as more people turned around mumbling different things. "Run" Bucky says as he grabs your arm and pulls you away as you both sprint out of the area before anyone else notices you.

(Your POV, present day)
You stayed huddled on Elias's office floor only just recovering from the panic attack you just suffered, hot burning tears where still streaming down your face as more memories from the orphanage flooded your mind.

Elias's dead body was only metres away from you and you still felt no pity for him even if you should. You knew there was a huge fight happened outside this very office but you did not have an anticipation to move, even if they where desperate for your help.

You slowly began to calm down even more, trying to steady your breathing and your tears. You then ripped off your clothes hiding your suit, seeming they had no purpose anymore and they where only heating you up.

"Is that a bomb?" You heard Steve question on your earpiece his breath heavy from fighting, "no it's a UFO, of course it's a bomb Steve!" Nat says sounding out of breath, "wait it's heading towards Elias's office" Clint explains. "Isn't y/n still in there?" tony then says as realisation hits you, "shit" you hear Bucky mumble. 

you see something come flying through the wall and land only metres away from you. The object suddenly explodes sending you flying through the wall and just next to the battlefield where everyone was fighting.

You coughed and spluttered as you tried to pick your aching body up, luckily the bomb wasn't one of hydras heavy duty ones but it was still powerful enough to nock all the air out of you.

You finally picked yourself up and lent against the wall trying to catch your breath, you look out at the hell happening before you, the Avengers where loosing badly and you knew you needed to help but you couldn't. After your memory you felt worthless, and if someone touched your feelings slightly you where dangerous, you didn't deserve to be an Avenger, you couldn't fight, this wasn't your place.

"Anyone seen y/n!?" Bucky yells in the earpiece as you spot him punching someone in the face. "Over there!" Steve yells as you fall to your knees another panic attack rising. "Well can someone maybe get her to join in!" Tony says sounding slightly annoyed. "Oh no" Bucky says as he pauses for a moment, "Elias you son of a bitch!" Bucky yells, he knew what was happening to you, he'd seen it before, he knew you better then anyone. "Language" Nat mumbles sarcastically. "Elias has put a memory in her head, he knew it would make her resistant to wanting to fight" Bucky says knowing exactly what happened. "Well we don't have time for resistance, Fury your closest to her, go give her a pep talk" Tony yells seeming distracted. "No" he simply says as you hear half the Avengers sigh, "fine then!" He yells bluntly.

You exhale a heavy breath as you see a cloudy figure come toward you, your eyes blurry from the build up of tears. You feel him grab your arm harshly and pull you to the side away from the fight. "Listen here kid" the man who you quickly notice as Nick Fury says, him releasing his grip on your arm so you can wipe your tears.

"There's a fight going on out there if you haven't noticed and we're loosing badly and that's not good considering we're the Avengers and we've conquered aliens before. It was suicide to think we could walk in here and win this fight, they have all there technology on us, all there agents, and if you don't take a breath of confidence and toughen up and help us then we're all going to die and who's fault would that be? Now I don't care about your memory but whatever it is put it aside because if you walk out there and show hydra that they don't own you anymore, show them that you will protect the people of this world and not kill them, then you are worthy enough to become an Avenger, do you hear me?" He explains as you nod.

"you walk out there and your guaranteed to become an Avenger, to have this family, to earn there trust and trust is a very high demanding thing in today's world. So toughen up and show Hydra who you really are, show them that you are better then them, that they can't control you anymore, show them that your brave, take your goddam anger out on them. I have to go back out there now because I've dedicated my life to saving the world, if you don't go out there I'll send Peter or Bucky over here to comfort you but if you do, you are an Avenger y/n and hydra will be gone for good" he says as he nods at you before returning to the battlefield.

"Wow Fury I think you've got quite a liking for y/n, your speech truly touched my heart" Tony says sarcastically as he does a fake sniffle. "Shut up Stark" Fury says bluntly.

You take a deep breath as you clench your fists, Fury's little speech made you realise something, no matter all the bad you had done, all the people you had murdered, all the family's you had broken, it was hydras doing, that made you this way, so they will goddam pay.

(Cue the AC/DC  play attached song from 2:48)

You let the anger inside you grow as you felt your eyes glow purple full of rage, you looked down at your hands which where now covered with the purple mist.

Revenge

You walked out into the centre of the battlefield, the power inside your rising as you looked through the crowd of your enemy's all staring back at you with emotionless faces. You directed your powers toward them throwing about 20 off of there feet and wiping there souls, another came from behind you trying to stab you but you elbowed him in the face feeling his nose to crunch from the impact.

You then used your powers to throw more of the agents to the other side of the room there bones breaking as they fell too the ground. "Hydras doomed" you heard Scott mumble as you punched yet another hydra agent in the face.

You looked around to the growing members of hydra agents and the other avengers who where struggling to hold them off. You knew something you could do, you had obviously never tried it before but if you where not to try it the hydra agents would not stop coming and you would loose, the only thing is, the amount of power you would use could possibly kill you, but what the hell, don't be afraid of the phrase death a very important lesson hydra had once taught, possibly the only good one.

You felt your feet levitate of off the ground as you began to gather all the power you had within you, it was surging through your veins, eager to leave, to escape, to be freed.

You then released the power sending every single hydra agent to the ground.. soul wiped... well for a good hour anyway.. you didn't want to kill them.. they where just normal people.. some worse then other I guess... but they had family... some probably only at hydra for the money not because they actually want to work there.

But still, your body felt numb as it slowly retired to the ground, your eyes feeling droopy, you where glad you didn't kill the hydra agents, there was enough killing in your life as is. talking about death you really weren't sure what your body was deciding it wanted to do.
"y/n? Y/n you did it! Wait, are you okay?" Bucky says as you finally reach the ground and try so desperately to stay upright. But before you had anytime to reply to Bucky you feel your head fall to the floor.. unconscious.. or dead you weren't really sure.

Dammit look at you being a hero, risking your life to save others :)