Part Thirty One - The Aftermath

(Your POV, NYC)
It had been 4 days since Tony's funeral and everything was going as well as it could. You had been staying in Tony's home until The remaining Avengers had found a place to lie low for a while even though Pepper tried to insist on everyone staying with her and Morgan. 

About 2 days ago Bucky, Bruce, Sam and Steve had gone off, Bucky claiming that Steve was out in charge of returning the stones, you being quite offended that you weren't invited to this event.

Everything was slowly going back to normal, you still missed Tony and Nat, everyone still missed them but everyone was slowly adapting to life without them.

It was now 10:30am in the morning and Happy had driven you to Central Park where you where enjoying a nice cup of Coffee while sitting on a bench overlooking the lake.

"Happy said I'd find you here" someone says as you turn your head to see a tired Bucky making his way towards you. "Oh hey Buck" you smile as he takes a seat next to you.

"How you doing?" He asks as he overlooks the lake, a quaint smile on his face. "Getting better" you simply reply as you take another sip of your coffee.

"How'd it go with Steve?" You ask as Bucky's smile fades slightly. "He made the right choice for himself" Bucky says keeping his gaze on the lake. "What do you mean?" You ask, looking over at Bucky. "He decided to live out his life, to enjoy his life, he successfully put back all the stones too, he made the right choice, but I'll miss him" Bucky smiles as his gaze turns to the grass beneath your feet.

"And where is he know?" You ask slowly putting all the pieces of the puzzle together in your brain. "New East side Nursing home" Bucky frowns as you can tell it hurts him to say that. "Oh" you mumble, your stomach clenching not wanting to say goodbye.

"He hasn't got much time left.. I'm sure he'd appreciate a visit from you" Bucky's Says as he finally turns his glance back to you. "might do that now... want to come?" You asks sipping your coffee. "I'll let you go alone" he says turning his glance back onto the lake. You understood why he didn't want to come, it must be hard seeing your best friend like that.

"You'll be alright?" You ask getting up from your spot on the bench and getting out your phone to text happy. "Yeah I'll be okay... might stay here for a bit" he says smiling lightly at you. "Alright well, see you Buck" you say giving him a soft smile as you walk off.

It was about a 20 minute drive to get to the nursing home, happy not saying much during the drive knowing that you where thinking, you had a lot of thinking to do.

"Thanks Hap" you say as you get out of the car and walk towards the nice looking brick building.

"Good morning miss, how may I help you?" The front desk lady smiles as she finishes typing something on the computer. "Steve Rogers room?" You ask as you notice the lady gazing at the multiple scars on your face, obviously putting two and two together. "4th floor, room 31" she smiles, "thank you" you reply before making your way over to the elevator.

As you reached floor 4 you made your way down the hallway looking for room 31. As you neared the end of the hallway you spotted the room number written on a metal plate, the sound of old music floating from the room.

You took a deep breath before pushing open the door, to find a frail looking Steve sitting in bed with a smile on his face, listening to his music.

"Y/n? Is that you?" He asks after noticing you, shock written all over his face yet the familiar smile still plastered on his lips. "Yes, yes it's me" you smile, a lump forming in your throat as you walk over to his bed, taking a seat on the chair next to it.

"Wow" he smiles holding out his arms so you could give him a hug. "I would say you have grown but you do not look a day older" he chuckles a small tear slipping from your eye as you hug him. "Can't really say the same about you" you joke as he lets out a soft chuckle.

"How was it? living the life you always wanted to live?" You ask with a smile on your face. "It was beautiful" he sighs staring up at the ceiling.

"Bucky's taking care of you I hope?" Steve asks as you laugh, "yes he is, being the usual over protective brother" you say as you look over to pictures of Steve and a young woman on his nightstand.

"And how are you?" He asks staring back over to you, "doing alright" you sigh not really wanting to go into details.

"How are you really y/n? I am wiser then I once was, It is hard to lie to an old man" Steve smiles as a small tear slips from your eye, he was quite clever. "I miss them, I'll miss you, I mean it's not only them I guess what happened took a toll on us all, scarred us for life. I mean we could of all died, technically half of us did a-and if Tony didn't do what he did then who knows what Thanos could of done. I-I almost died, twice.... guess that's not something that disappears from your mind in a matter of days" you explain as you notice a few more tears had fallen from your eye.

Steve smiles at you before reaching his hand over to yours, grabbing it in comfort. "You're right, what happened to us did take a toll on us, things that you and I will never forget, but what happened is bigger in your mind... once you talk to someone about it, it gets smaller. What I'm trying to say y/n is that you will get through this, it does seem tough I know but it will get better, the pain will mend itself over time. But that is what it needs... time. Take if from a man who had all the time in the world" Steve says as you nod taking in every word he says.

"And y/n I want you to remember something" Steve says as you nod once more eager to hear what he has to say.

"Even after I'm gone, even when you have grown up, had your own kids, lived your own life, I will be with you till the end of the line" he smiles as you smile back two more tears slipping from your eye, "th-Thank you" you say wiping away your tears.

"You might want to tell Bucky that too" Steve says smiling to Himself as he looks up at the ceiling.

"Why's that?" You question wondering why it was so important.

"Trust me, he will understand" Steve says as he continued to smile to himself seeming as happy as he had ever been.

The end

Annnnnd that's a wrap! Wow what a journey.... it's honestly so crazy how far this story has come.. like wow I almost have 2k reads that pretty cool!! And obviously thank you all so much for your love and support you guys are amazing!

I also have exciting news! I'm writing a new story but it doesn't have anything to do with marvel but a few members of the marvel cast within its own cast list. It's a pretty dark story I won't lie but It is super exciting to write and hopefully I can post it on Wattpad soon!!

Okay well once again thank you all and I hope you enjoyed my story ❤️