Chapter five: "If I wanted a bitch, I would've bought a dog."

Jeremy felt overwhelmed with the past events but joy seemed to fill his body at this very moment; someone was finally going to listen to his side of the story, even if it was the devil himself. "I was just walking home from the library when this bloke hit me with his car! He wasn't very smart though, because he hit the tree behind me and ended up dying too. Wait am I even dead? This makes no sense," he mumbled the last part.

Lucifer looked the boy straight in his eyes, "You're telling me that you didn't kill anybody or commit a crime?" Jeremy could barely contain his excitement, "Exactly, thank you!"

"What did the Deciders tell you then?" Lucifer asked. "Well, the before the guy died, he told me to go to Hell, but the three big men were really distracted by their own issues so they didn't really listen. Basically they sent me to Hell because they thought I wanted to," Jeremy panted, not having paused to breathe during his explanation.

The devil's passive face suddenly changed. He was laughing. Did he really find his situation funny? Apparently he did because his laughter boomed through the room while Jeremy simply huffed. He'd never admit out loud that the devil had a handsome laugh. "This is great," the devil beamed.

Jeremy face was frozen into a frown, "No! Not great!" Lucifer rolled his eyes, "Don't get your panties in a twist. The Deciders are usually never wrong, however it doesn't surprise me because those demons will get distracted by anything, and they're hired by God, not me," he huffed, "I'd never hire those idiots for such an important job." He stood from his chair and sat at the edge of his grand desk. "What would you like me to do for you?"

Jeremy agreed and looked up with a smile, "I'd like to go home, please." Lucifer snorted, "No, you're dead, there's no going home, this is your home now." Jeremy felt tears brimming in his eyes again. Normally he wouldn't cry this easily but he was getting overwhelmed, and being told you were dead wasn't exactly the most pleasant thing to be told. He cleared his throat, "Then I'd like to go to Heaven."

Lucifer studied at the boy for a minute, "No." At that comment he stood up once more and walked to a small table by the wall, "Tea?" Jeremy's mouth hung open, "Why did you ask what I wanted if you're just going to say no anyway?" He nearly shouted. Lucifer didn't really care and promptly ignored the boy until he had finished his tea and walked back to his desk. "I was trying to be polite, I don't like it when you cry, it makes my skin crawl." Jeremy wanted to roll his eyes; he should've known he wasn't going to get any aid from the devil. "I'm not crying," he mumbled quietly. The devil raised his eyebrow in defiance, "Well, you're not going anywhere. I quite like the fact that an innocent in Hell will create an imbalance in Heaven. I can only assume your murderer has gone to Heaven." The devil suddenly beamed, his smile seemed almost sinister, "I hope he creates havoc up there, Father deserves it."

"But, Lucifer, this is not fair! Please, you cannot do this," Jeremy didn't want to beg, but this was apparently what his life had come to. Lucifer quite liked it when he said his name but it also made him realise that he had no idea what the boy's name was. "What's your name, human?"

"Jeremiah Walker but people call me Jeremy," He grumbled in reply, not satisfied with the change of conversation topic. Lucifer stilled for a moment, "Jeremiah." The name sounded as a whisper of the wind. His whole demeanour changed as he suddenly started smiling once more. "Jeremiah means 'appointed by God'," he paused before suddenly standing up again, making Jeremy startled. "You were chosen to be sent to Hell for me." This made Jeremy incredibly confused, chosen? Chosen for what and why him?

"I don't understand," Jeremy replied slowly, as if testing the waters. Lucifer's pacing suddenly ceased as if just had just remembered that he wasn't the only one in the room. Their eyes met for an intense moment before Lucifer shattered it with his words, "If I wanted a bitch, I would've gotten a dog." This, in turn, made Jeremy scoff, clearly offended by his words before Lucifer decided to elaborate, "Father truly thinks he's found a way to reconcile all the bad blood between us. He's a fool."

Suddenly it clicked for Jeremy as he had put two and two together. Jeremy, the innocent human, had been sent to Hell as a gift for Lucifer Morningstar as a peace offering for the broken bond between the two. Jeremy just happened to be the poor soul that ended up getting caught up in this mess.

"Let's make a deal," Lucifer said out of the blue, causing the boy to snap out of his thoughts.

A deal with the devil, isn't that what all books and movies warn against?

"Alright," he replied despite his thoughts, and Lucifer smirked.

--

Thank you so much for reading! Here's an earlier update.