III. unwanted letters

A few days had passed since Seraphina decided to sneak outside the Canning's manor in the middle of the night, all alone, dressed in all-black attire as usual.

Struggling to take her mind of the gigantic and silent manor near the boarding school. Not once did she see a living soul in that peculiar house. When she asked the Headmistress about it, she just simply shrugged, telling her not to dwell on pathetic topics.

It was almost morning when she managed to board the carriage onwards Bath and by the time she reached her destination, the Headmistress and a few girls were surprised to see her so early knowing that she announced her leave for a month.

Nevertheless, they still welcomed her with such a warm embrace. 'They' only refers to the Headmistress and the boarding school's staff since Seraphina doesn't really have friends.

It was already in the midst of the day the subsequent day when she received a letter from her aunt in which it expressed her aunt's exasperation to her sudden disappearance, in the end, stating her understanding on why Seraphina preferred not to stay in Avebury, her hometown for now.

However, just as she began folding the letter, ready to be tucked between the aging pages of her book, she noticed a different yet familiar handwriting on the back.

Her soft fingertips ran across the words. Despite the absence of a signatory, she knew who wrote it for she received countless letters with handwriting like this for God knows how many times.

"You broke my heart, Love," Seraphina read the message aloud but not too loud, her brows meeting in confusion.

What does he want this time? Letting out a frustrated groan, Seraphina was almost compelled to tear the letter into pieces or perhaps, hid it between the pages of her most loathed novel just like the ones she did with his numerous unwanted letters.

Rolling her eyes, she cannot help herself from grimacing at his corny endearment. Of all words, why does it have to be love? It seems like Zachary thought about this word for so, so, so long. Even Aristotle couldn't come up with that, that's for sure.

The truth is, Zachary had been writing to her a vast number of letters ever since she was admitted here in Bath's boarding school.

In fact, he was the one who wrote to her as soon as she got here, beating Dorian and her aunt.

Ever since his letters are always without a signature to the point at first, she thought it was a mere letter from Dorian and was just simply playing a prank on her or perhaps he was too lazy to write his name.

However, when she discussed the letters to her friend, he quickly shook his head, stating that he had only written her a single letter throughout the month and that with his name on it, of course.

"You know I am not really a fan of letters, it's too old-fashioned, I must say. It's already the 19th century, not 16th. We got carriages, Sep. I find visiting you and sneaking here and then more convenient," reasoned Dorian out, sitting in the corner of Seraphine's room, his hands folded behind his head, his foot on the stool like a barbarian.

She rolled her leafy eyes heavenwards but her companion just laughed out loud at her reaction.

"Zip that annoying mouth of yours, Dorian unless you ought to have your unwanted presence here be put into light," she quietly exclaimed as they continued their game of chess for the 5th time this day.

The whole time, Seraphina doesn't know whether to be happy or disappointed over such information. You see, she practically grew up with this fella and so, she cannot help herself from feeling something for him. The point is, she knew it was unrequited.