VII. the haunted manor

Everyone in Avebury or at least the elites who are acquainted with the Canning family were stunned when the news broke out regarding Zachary, the last surviving Canning fired all the household staff in his manor.

Even those who were laboring in the said manse for more than a decade or so were unfortunately not spared. This invoked everyone to raise their suspicious brows.

Perhaps, though many, Zachary Canning cannot afford more of it for all the pounds spent on his deceased brother, Dorian's medical bills.

However, that seems impossible, indeed. The Cannings, even generations back, were commonly known as people who were simply born with silver spoons. Plus, Zachary Canning's artworks are quite desired by other aristocrats, the bidding perpetually surpasses a million pounds.

The folks in Avebury were compelled to not go any further into the fascinating news, thinking instead that Zachary Canning indeed found beauty in the simplicity of life.

However, when the destitute son of a mere gardener who used to work on the Canning manor found his dead father in the manse's barn, lying in his pool of blood mixed with hays, everything began to turn sideways.

Everything about the scene is gruesome, there's no doubt. Beginning from how the gardener's eyes were all plucked out, nowhere in sight, his fingernails removed, and what made it more sickening was how the gardener's pale head was chopped off from the rest of his body.

The Latin words cut in the man's chest saying, "Catch me before I kill some more," did not escape the attention of the authorities who investigated the scene.

It was horrid, indeed. It sparked a vast of attention around Avebury, obviously, one may automatically think of the name 'Zachary Canning' as the main suspect, the mastermind, the man behind the lurid murder. His immaculate reputation began to fade away from their minds.

However, how could one put Zachary Canning into blame for he is known as the golden boy in Avebury along with his late younger brother? Besides, he was outside the city when all this occurred.

Zachary Canning went home to Colchester when the authorities informed him regarding the brutal murder in his manse, all dressed in a fancy black suit, well-polished shoes, his blond hair waxed, looking regal yet intimidating as ever. As if he doesn't care a bit about the blames and threats he had been receiving.

Even from the busy streets of Avebury, as Zachary Canning was walking, a carpet bag in his hand failed to not notice the judging and curious looks of other folks, their heads following him.

Knowing Zachary Canning, the corner of his lips just switched upwards as he made his way onwards the Canning manor in the foot since not a single chauffeur would not accept him.

Aunt Veronica, of course, was stunned to her core regarding the news considering that the incident occurred a few blocks away from the Hearts manor.

Despite how many aristocrats are pointing their fingers to Zachary Canning, his godmother remained faithful to him, brushing off the news.

"My dear Zachary would not do such a thing," defended Aunt Veronica that day in the balcony, her hands behind her back, gloomy yet determined.

Seraphina remained glued to her spot, her back resting against the marbled wall, her eyes wandering around the small portraits and landscapes painted by, of course, Zachary Canning himself.

To be frank, Seraphina doesn't know what to think anymore. She knew Zachary is creepy and all, has a thirst for torturing mere animals but this? Murdering a human being is beyond all Seraphina can handle.

"My poor boy, he probably hasn't eaten yet," added Aunt Veronica, her hand resting on her chest with such an aching tone.

Seraphina let out a soft sigh when she caught such words from her aunt, "Do me a favor, dear. Go to that house of his and give him a proper meal, that's the least we could do,"