XXIII. knowing me, knowing you

Seraphina was heartbroken over what had transpired that night. For seconds, for minutes, for hours, for days, her mind solely kept worrying about him.

'Please let him be safe,' prayed Seraphina every single night that flew by, the constant feeling of loneliness enveloping her.

Aunt Veronica, the first day her niece came back with a horrible state, muddy nightgown, sticky hair, with blood everywhere, looking like she was fresh out of the battlefield, was hysterical.

Saying how she'll sue the boarding school for putting its students in grave danger. Take note, what complicates things more was the fact the Headmistress cannot be found anywhere.

Aunt Veronica, since day one, kept sending her telegraphs but none came back. Thankfully, Seraphina wrote her a letter saying she's safe and sound. However, after two or three letters, no more letters from Seraphina were delivered, causing Aunt Veronica to worry.

That's when her great godson came into the picture, writing her letters regarding Seraphina's safety. How she's with him, traveling places to places, accompanying his business transactions in the meantime which Aunt Veronica found so sweet.

When asked about her experience, Seraphina merely shrugged, saying, "T'was fun," which seems to satisfy her aunt.

Thinking about the fire that happened, Seraphina cannot help but feel hatred towards the rest of the girls and the Headmistress for they truly did betrayer.

But who knows, they might be victims as well, forced to get out of the boarding school in the middle of the night, leaving them confused and all.

Seraphina's mind drifted to all the belongings she left in the boarding school, all now in the form of ashes. The letters Aunt Veronica, Dorian, and even Zachary wrote her. God, even the illustrations Zachary sent her, she felt sorry.

Of course, Aunt Veronica bugged her once again regarding her so-called-little-vacation with her godson. Asking her if they stayed in the same room and such.

At the mention of that, Seraphina couldn't muster gazing back at her aunt for she knew she couldn't handle her aunt's wrath if she ascertained the truth.

Trembling, Seraphina swiftly shook her head in denial, "Never, Auntie," with that, Aunt Veronica merely nodded. However, there was this disturbing knowing smirk plastered in her face, sending Seraphina discomfort.

The next day, Aunt Veronica barged into her room, ordering her to dress up since they're meeting a friend. Saying how many church ladies fret over how beautiful the household of Mrs. Smith.

And so, throughout the journey to the other side of the town, Aunt Veronica narrated her trips to numerous manors. Bow she cannot believe the Duke's in-laws have peeling wallpapers and a broken vase. What a shame, really. Plus, their tea tastes horrible.

A month like this went on. No more killings. No more Zachary. Not a single note was received. Not a single rose covered in dried blood. Not a single visit.

Sep found herself frowning these past few weeks. She read dozens and dozens of books in which she can't seem to focus on since her mind kept drifting back to Zachary. Worried how he is doing right now.

Sep badly wants to ask her Aunt if she knows how's life going with Zachary but she frets about her aunt's reaction.

I mean, why the sudden interest in my grandson? If it's Dorian we are talking about, it is understandable but Zachary? Pray to enlighten us, please.

Seo had somehow managed to shut her mouth, forcing herself not to say anything about Zachary despite how her heart and mind kept rambling about him.

Once again, Aunt Veronica insisted Seraphina accompany her to another manner of her friend on the other side of the town.