IX. not how you impress a lady

It's early in the morning when Seraphina received a missive, an invitation letter to be exact. She herself was the one who answered the mailman for not a single soul except hers can be detected in the boarding school.

It seems like everyone pretty much relished the days full of autonomy sans the four Headmistresses and the boarding school's unjust rules.

Fingertips touching the ragged cream-colored envelope, Seraphina skims the letter, the handwriting comes off like it was carefully done by a professional. With that, it is unfamiliar.

Seraphina cannot help herself from concealing her awe as soon as her emerald eyes wrapped up the letter for she cannot assume she would obtain such a letter about Edward Finnegan's funeral later tonight.

Sure, she conversed with the man before but it doesn't seem like sufficient reason to be invited to Edward's funeral. To be frank, Seraphina feels wicked for receiving such a note but she knew her feelings will continue to deteriorate if she chose to flout the invitation.

By that, wearing her conventional black frock, Seraphina steered towards the graveyard later tonight, not bothering to inquire for the Headmistress' approval. Thus, Seraphina roamed all alone in the midst of the night, without a single chaperone insight.

However, Seraphina inferred something was amiss the moment her dainty ebony shoes strode into the muddy necropolis, harsh breeze passing her, Seraphina encompassed her pale arms around herself, denouncing herself for not bringing a cloak.

Despite the scarcity of light and people in sight, Seraphina still valiantly leaped deeper into the cemetery, scouring for a mob of people, signaling Edward Finnegan's funeral.

After a few twinklings, her feet began to jail for Seraphina had been sauntering on and on yet not a sole soul arose right in front of her.

Paranoid Seraphina is for she began to think of many possible explanations why she failed to find the others. Perhaps, they didn't really mean to mailed her an invitation letter or possibly because they started early but what if this is their way of pulling a prank on the last seen lady Edward spoke with before he was slain.

As rude as it is, Seraphina ceased in her tracks, preparing herself to just simply call it a day and head home.

Nevertheless, just as Seraphina was about to ultimately leave the strange old necropolis, there she noticed a standing hooded man, a few gauges away from her, his back facing her.

Seraphina was at first, fused in her point but was shooked to her very core when she found herself galloping towards him, curiosity eating her up.

The hooded man must have sensed her approach for he commenced to walk away rapidly, not run, but merely walk. Undoubtedly, his knees are long compared to Seraphina's.

By the time Seraphina reached the spot where she saw the hooded man standing very stationary, the man was already nowhere to be found.

Eyes wandering around the surrounding, Seraphina let out a horrendous outcry, ravens flying out of the trees for what Seraphina saw was pure evil.

For there lay Edward Finnegan's lifeless body in the ground entirely coated in dirt. His left eyeball was missing just what she heard based on the news that quickly circulated around the area. Regardless, what they neglected to notify Seraphina was how both of his arms and legs were all chopped off and were all huddled beside him.

Her heart skipping a beat, Seraphina recklessly ran for her life, evacuating the Cemetery as promptly as she can, not heeding the muds sticking right into her frock and even her neatly tied bun as she sprinted.