XIX. where were you

For the entire month, ever since Seraphina got back to the boarding school accompanied by Zachary, of course, nothing peculiar occurred.

The two of them never fail to laugh whenever they remember the reaction of the Headmistress at the sight of them getting off the carriage in front of the boarding school.

It's no wonder the Headmistress knows Zachary since he is a well-known painter. The Headmistress even asked him about his clients.

However, before that, the Headmistress was stunned at such a scandal.

"Just what do you think you're doing all alone with a man, young lady?" blurted out the Headmistress, her arms crossed, she looked as if any minute now, she'd faint.

Her emerald eyes traveling around her surroundings, Seraphina could perfectly view the girls upstairs staring down at them. Some with confused looks, smug looks while the others are simply shaking their head, silently judging her.

Before Seraphina could explain, she felt Zachary's hand encircled around her waist. Uh-oh. Way to get things worse, buddy.

Trying to escape his grip, Zachary tightened his arm around her waist. At the corner of her eyes, she could tell the Headmistress is totally not in a good mood.

Before either Seraphina and the Headmistress could comment about Zachary's scandalous gesture in public, Zachary blurted out the words, "You need not worry, Madame. Veronica Hearts entrusted me her niece to travel back here in Bath,"

The Headmistress was about to respond but Zachary raced her off once again. "And Ms. Hearts here told me lots of great things about you. I wonder if you'll grant me an honor of painting you sometimes,"

At the mention of that, the Headmistress's mood lightened. It was as if she didn't say what she just gaped upon a while ago.

With that, the Headmistress let out a chuckle, fanning herself, inviting Zachary for a cup of tea inside.

Zachary was on the verge of accepting, Seraphina could tell when she decided to take the matter in her hands.

"Oh, Mr. Canning here still has a business to attend to,"

" I do?" Sardonically asked Zachary, her brow rising in such a playful way. Seraphina wants to roll her eyes heavenwards but decides not to since the Headmistress will comment about it.

"Oh, you do, Sir. Now, off you go," insisted Seraphina while avoiding his gaze. He could tell he is staring at her with amusement.

When she looked back at the Headmistress, her brows were meeting but said nothing about it.

"Right. If you excuse me, Madame. Ms. Hearts and I would just talk for a bit,"

The Headmistress was about to protest when Zachary uttered the words, "Right. You have my gratitude, Madame,"

With that, Zachary dragged her hand and led her at the back of the boarding school, away from the Headmistress and the girls.

Now that the two of them are alone, Seraphina hit him in the chest, "Just what do you think you're doing, Zach?"

She was rewarded with a gentle chuckle, "Finding a way to talk to you,"

Rolling her eyes heavenwards, "We've already talked for hours, Zach. Goodness gracious, I've barely seen a human being beside you for the last couple of days,"

Crouching down in her level, Zachary whispered the words, "and let's keep it that way,"

Seraphina was glued in her spot and she was just beginning to think of a witty comeback when she felt his hands cupping her cheeks, his chapped lips kissing her forehead.