VI. bloody hell

After what occurred not only in the ball but at the sudden spine-chilling presence of a knife in which Seraphina quickly hid under her bed surrounded by her shoes, Seraphina traveled back to Avebury.

Aunt Veronica wrapped her arms around her niece in surprise when she saw Seraphina, still wearing a pitch-dark frock, a mere carpet bag in hand in the Hearts manor.

"What brought you here, dear?"

Seraphina scanned her eyes around her aunt whose yellow and violet polka-dot gown is far too much to gawk upon.

"The Headmistress advised us all to go home for a week or so due to the incident that occurred near the boarding school," informed Seraphina, strolling down the familiar marbled floor and rubbing her palm against the marbled staircase leading to her room upstairs.

"Oh, that. I've heard about all that from Zachary last night assuring me that all is fine in regards to you," stated Aunt Veronica who then entered the kitchen next room, her voice becoming quite inaudible.

"Of course, he has. He is always watching, am sure of that," murmured Seraphina to herself, rolling her eyes heavenwards.

After a moment, her aunt came back to the drawing-room, carrying tea with a concerned expression plastered on the wrinkled face of hers.

Aunt Veronica then stared at her niece in disbelief, with a brow raised, she scolded Seraphina, "Just where do you think you're heading to, young lady? Go and take a seat before you go straight to your room,"

Seraphina was about to open her mouth to protest when her aunt added another statement expressing her disbelief, "Kids these days. Always locking themselves up in their room. Not about proper etiquettes," and clicked her tongue.

Seraphina could still hear her aunt's pressuring tongue clicking while Seraphina raced towards the chair, Aunt Veronica arranging the teapots in the silver coffee table.

Sitting on the elongated beige couch, Seraphina let out a soft sigh as her eyes gawk upon her aunt who is now busy with pouring the teacup with her freshly blended jasmine tea.

"Tell me, child. Why have you disappointed me with such news about you not finding a suitor once again?"

Hiding half her face with the massive yet fragile teacup, Seraphine remained still, grimacing as she felt the hot liquid seeping through her upper lip.

"Why, oh, why? Do I have to remind you for heaven's sake how you're getting old, my dear? You're already 19, you should've been married now," persisted her dear aunt, Seraphina frowned once again at her aunt's constant ramblings.

100% sure is Seraphina that her aunt would remind her again the fact how at her age, Aunt Veronica was already married to this wealthy bachelor who is 12 years older than her. Her aunt chose not to comment much on the man's face though.

"Look at me, at age 17, I am already married to John. Well, too bad he died from typhus a month after, " her aunt added, giving her niece such a pressuring look once again.

"I fear that you'll grow old all alone, surrounded by books on that boarding school of yours. Dear God, don't tell me you aspire to be like that Headmistress of yours, an old hag?"

Seraphina cannot help herself from rolling her eyes heavenwards due to how dramatic her aunt is.

"I pray to the Lord that He'll grant you a devoted husband,"

"Who is wealthy, of course," Aunt Veronica quickly added, looking at her niece with such an intimidating expression to let Seraphina know that she is dead serious.

Letting out a soft huff, "Aunt Veronica, we can talk about that after I finish my schooling next year,"

However, Aunt Veronica mirrored her sigh. "My dear, you've been far too invested in that schooling of yours. Don't you think, perhaps, it's time to focus more on prominent issues?"