f i f t y - e i g h t

I just love how you all ignored the fact that Sage hit Carlos in the face :/

Side note: I drew a Xager fanart (using my finger, but idk why I didn't finish, maybe I got lazy ._. ), and even though I know it isn't the time for this, but do ya think?

Sidenote: we're almost at 100K :)

* * *

Tough times never last, but tough people do

* * *

"Mr. Tremaine?"

...

"Mr. Tremaine?"

Again, no response.

"Sage Tremaine!"

A tap against Sage's arm startled him back into the present, causing him to flinch before staring at the person who'd touched him. It was a random classmate, one who gestured for Sage to look ahead of him, which he did. A few kids in the class snickered at the whole situation, but Sage paid no heed to that and instead lifted his eyes to the tall figure looming over his desk

Standing before him was a disappointed-looking Mr. Holt. The teacher handed Sage his quiz paper, to which the boy fumbled to take it whilst dealing with his quivering hands, which felt like an ordeal in and of itself. Eyes flitting over the paper, Sage's eyes widened at the sight of a big 'F' marked into the top right corner of the page.

There, Sage was also shocked to see that he had written nothing on the paper beside his full name.

Normally, Sage would have freaked out about what Cecilia would say, but at that point, he stared at the paper a little while longer before sliding it into his binder.

"Care to explain why you handed in an empty test paper?"

Sage shook his head. He offered no explanation otherwise.

He didn't think he could open his mouth without sobbing instead of responding, so he kept it closed, stoic and resolute.

The teacher's mouth fell at Sage's nonchalant response, but he snapped it closed and cleared his throat. Pushing his glasses up the rim of his nose, he said, "That's too bad. I'm sad to say, but you have detention this afternoon," Mr. Holt calmly said, writing up a detention slip and handing it to Sage. "It's exam time, not time to slack off, Mr. Tremaine. I'm so disappointed in you right now."

"I-I'm s-sorry," Sage quietly murmured, but his voice was drowned out, seeing that the teacher had lost interest in him and moved onto more pressing matters. Pulling the quiz from his binder, Sage's hand flowed through his hair at the evidence that he failed the last revision quiz they would receive before the real exam.

How could he possibly blank out on a one-hour test?