Epilogue Part 2: A Long And Lasting Love

Two chapters in one, so it's pretty long ;-;
Sincere apologies to those with a short attention span like yours truly.

I've dropped some angst into this of course, because who likes purely happy, soppy stuff? Boo. Grab some tissue and popcorn if you must.

* * *

Loving you is easy 'cause you're beautiful

* * *

A year later

"What are you thinking about?"

The punching bag gawkily jerked as Sage threw another punch, the chains above rattling frivolously as Xander released it, sending the bag swaying heavily. Sage jumped back and swiped his fists across his glistening forehead before looking at Xander, who stared back at him with a quizzical expression.

"You zoned out again, Xander," Sage pointed out, his crimson lips crinkling in a cute pout as he lowered his hands, which were encased in thick, black boxing gloves. Xander shook his head as he regained his senses, grasping the punching bag again. The rubbery material was thick and smooth under his fingertips, the only thing keeping him safe from Sage's rabid punches. The last thing he wanted was to zone out again and potentially be on the receiving end of one of his sharp lunges.

"Sorry, Snowflake. I was just thinking about you."

Sage lifted his fists again to tackle the punching bag, but lowered them immediately as Xander's words registered in his mind. A shy smile worked its way across his face, bending his lips to the irresistible pull. "Huh?"

"How we got together," Xander said, carefully watching Sage as a shy smile hijacked his flushed face. Xander merely said that, yet his mind had drifted days and months after their first 'date', which felt like an awkward type of hangout because they revisited the places their younger selves frolicked about and even kissed. Xander remembered the first time they held hands, the first time they slept in a bed together (only once, in the middle of a thunderstorm when Sage began freaking out), and the kiss that brought them together.

Carter, Randall, and Sage were attending another gay event - this time pride, and Xander felt compelled to tag along because he wanted to support his friends. Sage was so excited to attend and feel accepted amongst people similar to himself. Xander remembered the greenery of Sage's eyes amidst the smudges of paint on his clothes and skin, the way his lips expanded into a bright smile as he watched and participated in the celebrations with his companions.

Then, in an unexpected turn of events, Xander remembered gingerly cupping Sage's face and just going for it; slow enough that Sage could bridge the distance or back out, but fast enough to abolish the distance and instigate something they both craved. It was clumsy and uncoordinated at first. It was awkward. It was new, it was sweet. Xander was the first to pull back, uttering words that sounded way smoother and casual his head: "Do you wanna, uh, be my boyfriend now?"

"Are you trying to distract me? I ... I'll beat you up for this!"

Chuckling Xander raised his hands in surrender as Sage rounded the punching bag, threateningly waving his boxing gloves at Xander's face. His hair clung to his cheeks like a second skin and his cheeks were red from the excessive workout session, the front of his shirt darkened with sweat and clinging to his flat chest.

"Hiyah!"

Xander caught the projected boxing glove, skillfully grabbing Sage's wrist and luring the panting boy into an unexpected embrace. His soft skin was slick with sweat but Xander didn't mind, pressing himself into Sage's warmth as one of his legs accidentally slipped between the blonde's legs. Xander brushed his nose through Sage's scented hair, holding the boy despite his protests and wriggling to break free. A forehead kiss later and the blond was putty in Xander's arms, slumping lazily against the taller male. "Nice try but you're distracting yourself."