s i x t y - s i x

I didn't split this in two, so it's a long chapter. I planned to wrap up this book by the end of 2019, but it's a slow-paced, endless book, and the last chapters are a real pain.

So for those who just want this book to wrap up and be over with it, hmm, maybe check back in a few weeks?

Also, vote before you start the chapter. Let's see if we can get this chapter to 100 votes.

* * *

There's always that one stupid mistake that changes everything.

* * *

"I want to show you something."

Xander's eyes flit in the voice's direction to see Maria climbing on the bed next to him with her phone. She turned on the screen, enabling him to clearly see himself set there as the wallpaper before she opened it, scrolling through her infinite gallery. Pausing on an album called 'Shots', her brown eyes snapped up to meet his blue ones.

"So you know I went for a shoot today, right? I wanted to show you some of the pictures," she explained. "Do you want to see them?"

"I guess." Xander couldn't have cared less.

That was enough for her. Her face transformed into a bright smile, prompting her to leave a chaste kiss against his lips before she snuggled next to him. Opening the gallery in accordance with her goal, after which she handed her boyfriend the phone allowing him to browse through the catalog of pictures featuring her in a variety of swimsuits.

With her thin yet curvy figure, straight nose, full lips and bone structure sculpted to perfection, it was no doubt that Maria was made to be a model, and that she did, being one of the most promising uprising talents. She rocked everything from winter to summer wear, making even the most absurd clothes look dazzling on her, against her tan skin and thick, bra-strap length chocolate hair. Since then, she'd coloured segments of her hair in blue and purple, standing out because of them being situated at the front of her head.

"What do you think?" she asked Xander, who's been rhythmically swiping through, absentmindedly.

"They're good." was all he said.

"I know. I still don't get why you won't try modeling too, baby. My agents love you."

And that too was true. As a result of having to be present at some of Maria's photoshoots, Xander quickly became a face everyone came to know, love and appreciate. Despite the opening and the barrage of opportunities that would come with it, Xander rejected the offer.

Not only was he insecure about his thin figure and the multiple self-inflicted scars that didn't fade, but his mental health had also pummeled in the few weeks since everything transpired. Being on the receiving end of Maria's constant insults, threats and temper tantrums caused that, regardless of how Xander claimed that he didn't care or mind what she perceived of him.

"I don't want to," he informed her for the hundredth time. He didn't offer an explanation even when he saw that she was getting angry.

As a thought hit her, Maria relaxed her shoulders and laughed away her minuscule annoyance. "All the better for me. I wouldn't want even more girls hounding after you." she sat up until she was kneeling next to him, staring into his empty blue eyes. "I get to keep you for myself."