s e v e n t y - t h r e e

Chapter 71: The Purest Form of Love

^ this felt like an appropriate chapter name. Watch me try and fail to dabble in poetry :3
Remember to vote!

* * *

I saw that you were perfect, and so I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect, and I loved you even more.

* * *

"I can tell something's bothering you. Do you want to talk about it?"

Lying on his back, Xander stared up at the ceiling, waiting for his breathing to return to its normal rate. Next to him lay Jennifer, who was on her side, gazing at him with her hand clasped by her head, her pin-straight brown hair spilling around her white, silk pillows like melted chocolate. Looking lower revealed layers of uncovered skin, from the perks of her full, white breasts, to the soft folds between her legs; but she didn't care about any of that. Xander was the same, but by then, he'd pulled on his boxers and pants.

Casting her a sidelong glance, he mouthed, "What are you, my shrink or something?" he asked. "I told you this wasn't anything serious."

"I know." she sighed, sitting up briefly to cover her breasts, the same ones Xander previously toyed with and sucked. "I think I deserve an explanation, Blaze. You're dating Maria ... you shouldn't be here, we shouldn't be doing this."

"We broke up, as I told you."

"I know, but why?" she pushed. "Don't lie to me." she warned when he remained quiet. He looked over at her and caught his long gaze, and slowly but surely, realization dawned on her. "Is it ... someone else?"

Xander looked away.

"It is, isn't it?"

Swallowing harshly, Xander nodded. Apprehensively, he sat up alongside Jennifer and brushed his fingers through his hair, biting his lower lip. The girl's pouty lips puckered up to form a small 'o'.

"Oh," she said at last. Silence drifted between them as she stared down at her hands, as though waiting for everything to seep into her mind. Once it did, she grabbed her T-shirt and threw it over her head, covering her midriff and naked lower half. "So? Who is she?"

That was the punchline.

"It's not she," Xander blurted before he could think, an idiotic move on his part. As soon as the words left his mouth, he watched as Jennifer's eyes widened, mouth going ajar for several seconds until she snapped it shut.

"You're gay?"

Of course, the automatic label.

"I'm not gay," he insisted because he wasn't. He was straight. Minutes ago, he entered Jennifer's apartment, and after a few drinks they ended up in an ardent make-out session, closely followed by Xander hoisting her up and bringing her to her bed. They wasted no time in stripping each other, and all the while, Xander found her attractive. He liked girls, boobs and everything that came with the package.