s i x t y - n i n e

Chapter 69: Protect, control, dominate

Let's get this chapter to 80 votes :)

* * *

We're just strangers with some memories

* * *

It was in the evening, after school when Sage stopped the cab, almost tumbling over his feet as he exited the taxi. Hands quivering, he almost dropped the coins as he passed the payment to the driver. Facing the grand building behind him, Sage took a deep breath.

Willow Green Medical Center.

Mustering as much courage as he could, he inhaled deeply before heading towards the doors, where people were both leaving and entering, just like he was. Amidst the hustle, he quickly wended his way through the crowd and pushed past the glass double doors, entering the lobby. The first thing that greeted him was a cool chill that calmed his nerves somewhat, followed by him noticing the sight of the spotless floors, fluorescent lighting and the clear path to the busy receptionist at the front desk.

That was where Xander had been for two days now, according to Carter.

Sage knew he shouldn't have been there, but Carter told him that Xander would appreciate a visit, and albeit hesitant and skeptical, Sage somewhat agreed. Before the whole incident, he and Xander had been acquaintances, right? Surely no harm would be done if an acquaintance visited another, right? Furthermore, Sage had received word that Carlos was busy doing community service and wouldn't be at the hospital.

The chance of him being there was slim, but the possibility still managed to raise every single hair on Sage's body. Regardless, visitor hours would soon elapse, so perhaps it would be bad after all.

Ambling to the front desk, he shyly greeted the receptionist, who glanced up at him briefly with a small smile. She motioned for him to wait, and once she was finished with the phone call, she wrote something down before her attention solely for Sage.

"Um ... hello! I was just wondering if I could have something d-delivered to a friend? He was admitted here yesterday." Sage explained as articulately as possible.

The receptionist drew her chair closer to the computer, opening the list of patients. "Name?"

"X-Xander Love, miss."

Her fingers went sprinting across the keyboard, opening logs of information after the next. Her gray eyes squinted at the screen for a bit. "Is he expecting you?"

"N-not exactly! I-I was actually planning to leave something here for him, not go to his room."

"It's recommended that visitors drop off their items themselves, as long as it doesn't violate our rules — no weapons, sharp objects, flowers or electronics. Understood?" she asked Sage, who quickly bobbed his head in agreement. "Sign your name here. The maximum visit time is twenty minutes."

She angled a book for Sage to sign, which he did — under a fake name — and was then given the room number and permitted access. After doing so, Sage turned and took a deep breath, all for the idea of heading to the designated room when he noticed someone.