s i x t y - e i g h t

TBH , I have no idea what this song is saying, but it just suits this chapter ^

* * *

I wish you were here

* * *

W-why did I have to see him?

Why didn't I run instead?

Though the exchange only lasted for a few seconds, just seeing Xander, knowing everything that happened between them, that he didn't care; it wrecked Sage, inside out, as it usually did.

The unanswered question rolled back to him as a result of the encounter.

What did he want to tell me that night?

Sage dismissed the intrusive thoughts, clearing his head as best as he could as he approached the customer. He had to force back the 'what-ifs' his mind would spurt to forge his brightest smile, greeting the customers cheerfully and jotting down their orders afterward.

Thus, Sage focused on something more positive for once, like how good he'd gotten in his job. Sure, his body still wracked with nerves sometimes when he was to approach someone sometimes, but besides that, it was usually good.

Bringing in the last set of dirty dishes for the day, Sage passed by the lunchroom, where he noticed that his friends had already congregated. They called out for him to join them and relax, which he did, after loading the dishwasher and leaving it to do its job.

Walking to the empty chair next to Randall, the pair exchange small smiles as Sage sat down, leaning back. All eyes then focused on Vera, who's let out a loud giggle at something she saw on her phone screen. Next to her, Nyx leaned over, trying to get some of the joke but his sister turned her phone screen away.

"Mind your own business."

"You are my business," Nyx argued. "Now who're you communicating via text with? Another douchebag?"

Sticking her tongue out at her brother, she didn't offer any form of explanation besides that, as the phone buzzed in her hands. With a large smile on her face, her fingers began darting across her keyboard.

"I can't believe you cut your hair, V," Randall commented. His accusing gaze swerved to Nyx when the comment went over Vera's head. "Why did you let her cut her hair."

"'Offended, Nyx Singhall scoffed as he stared at his rebellious sister.'" he eyed Vera's hair done in a pixie cut, completely contradictory to her previously bra strap length. Parted at the left side of her head, it had been brushed to fall over the other side of her forehead in a fringe, above the pair of glasses perched up her nose — Randall's glasses. "Me? She just came home with it like that, saying she wants a 'fresh start' from guys and that douche Brandon."

Sage understood that. He understood it perfectly.

Besides Vera's short hair, her wardrobe had changed drastically too, from cute crop tops and shorts to more comfortable, baggy clothes, from flannels and plain t-shirts and dark-washed jeans to sweatshirts.

Looking at her for the first time, properly, Sage noticed that she really looked like a guy, or could rock any gender she close. As opposed to him, who feminine, regardless of the time, season or year.

It was such a depreciating thought, really.

"Maybe Sage should go bald then." Vera casually commented, glancing up from her phone only for a second at Sage, snapping him out of his insecurities.