s i x t y - f o u r

Sweet 16 ヽ(^o^)ノ❀ヅ❤♫

And this song, just because it sounds happy (and I looove Final Fantasy X)

* * *

Because of you, I laugh a little harder, cry a little less and smile a lot more

* * *

"Thanks for making it Taste Buds!" Sage chirped, as cheerfully as he could muster whilst he passed the customer their orders. Workers knew that they weren't supposed to bring their issues to work, and Sage knew that, despite how he just wanted to be alone more than ever. He felt disgusting, confused, tormented borderline on depression, but all that had to be put on the back burner for the time being.

He was alone at work that day, for Nyx, Vera and Randall claimed that they had somewhere to be and had to leave early. Thus left with no choice but to work with the other workers on shift, it surprised him when one of them approached him, telling him to go off early since it was his birthday.

He bit his lip at the mention, not wanting to be on the receiving end of any excitement or celebration, unlike how he felt a month ago. The only thing he wanted was his bed, Skittles, and a box of tissue to dry up the river that would soon flow from his eyes; that was all he did lately, and Cecilia was getting closer and closer to finding out.

Stepping off the bus and quickly trekking the streets to his house, he glanced warily around him at every dark clump of bush or trees by the roadside, his paranoia flaring. His walk broke off into a sprint, and that's how he arrived at his house even faster, fumbling with the keys to open the front door.

The house was eerily dark and silent when Sage pushed it open. His eyes widened, struggling to adjust to the darkness and the suffocating feeling of unease that welled in his stomach, making him sick. The silence and darkness consumed him wholly, and mildly shaken at the thought of someone attacking him, he called out, "M-mom?"

Garnering no response, Sage flipped the light switch, and that's when they emerged from their hiding spots.

"Surprise!" came a collection of shouts, followed by the loud sound of popping confetti.

The Sage a few weeks ago would have jumped back and maybe toppled over on his bum, but at that moment, Sage stood there, unfazed, just a little startled. He brushed out colorful strands from his hair as he focused on his friends, hugging himself as he frowned at them as his anxiety thawed in an odd mixture of disapproval and relief.

"Y-you guys will wake the neighbors! W-what were you-" he didn't get to finish that thought, as Vera had broken her limit and approached Sage. She threw her hands around his frail figure and hauled him in for a tight hug.

"Happy birthday, Cinnamon!"

Randall came next. He stole Sage from her grasp, hugging him so tightly he had difficulty breathing.

"R-Randall - I-I-"

Not heeding Sage's plea, Vera joined in again on the hug, embracing Sage from behind.