s e v e n t y - o n e

Dear [fellow] writers,

To make your life easier, make a mindmap/plan out your book properly, especially if the plot is complex.

Chapter 71: Faithful Father and Son

* * *

You were the one who loved me even though I gave you a thousand reasons not to

* * *

After one day spanned into a whole week of being confined in the tiny white room, Xander was finally out, and never looking back. Those weeks consisted of seeing several doctors and the hospital psychiatrist, hearing the results of his tests and receiving advice as to the next step he should be recommended to take; psychotherapy therapy, for which he was given the names and contacts for different psychologists in the area.

While Xander was doubtful that therapy would be the cure to all his issues, magically helping him to 'get better', Maria was having none of it. She seemed so genuine, listening to everything the doctor had to say, but the second they were outside, it was a different story. Thankfully, there was Carter there to pick him up — being eighteen already — restrain Xander from losing his temper and doing or saying something that he'd regret later on.

Carter's efforts of engaging Xander in conversation along the way home were futile, for the dark-haired senior couldn't find the strength to reciprocate it. He just wanted to smoke, or lie somewhere and sleep, never to wake up again.

Unfortunately, he did. Groggily climbing out of bed at the demand of his stomach, he ended up throwing on some random clothes and then strolling in the living room, where Carter was perched on the couch, playing a noisy racing video game. Xander acknowledged his friend with a brief nod as he entered the room, heading to the fridge. He grabbed a cold beer and was all for the idea of retreating to his room, but then Carter called out to him.

"Oi, Blaze! Come play with me."

Xander figured that he would simply reject the idea, but Carter turned to face him completely, doing the best puppy eye impression he could. Too depressed, too tired and drained, Xander couldn't find the energy to laugh or make a snarky remark at his friend's cringy attempt.

Seeing the hesitancy lingering on Xander's face, Carter grinned and switched the game to a multi-player one; WWE Smackdown vs Raw, which so happened to be a game both boys enjoyed. Carter had already made it to the selection screen, choosing 'CM Punk' as his character whilst beckoning to Xander one last time. "Just lemme kick your ass one time and I'll leave you alone, alright?"

Something made Xander snort at the pompous nature of Carter's comment, grabbing another beer before walking over and sidling up next to his best friend without a word. Passing Carter a beer and receiving a controller for himself, Xander's intent of selecting his character was put on hiatus the second he glanced down to see that the sleeves of his hoodie had ridden up, revealing the layers of bandages enveloping his wrist beneath. Suddenly his throat felt parched and his hands went numb, all as a result of his mood plummeting once again.

Albeit a bit aggressively, Xander hastily yanked them down, casting a look over at Carter to gauge whether or not he noticed. Thankfully he didn't, hence sparing Xander a 'moment' as he took a long swing of his beer, gesturing towards the flat-screen hoisted on the wall.