Chapter 7

I looked at my wristwatch and it was nearly midnight when I arrived at the front door of my new home. I hadn't even the chance to open it, because when I tried to grab the handle it was snatched open. My eyes widened in shock and I bit my lip. Cordelia stood before me with worry and anger in her eyes and I felt more than guilty. “I'm so” I started to say, but she pulled me inside and hugged me tightly. Her warmth spread through my body and my arms went around her too. “I'm glad you're back again and I am so angry at you. Do you know what time it is? Where were you young girl?” She whispered in my ear and let me go. Cordelia stepped a little away and waited for an answer.

I scratched my neck and said “I was in a little cafe and it seems like the distance was quite long. I'm sorry Ms. Goode.” Zoe and Queenie stood behind her and watched us carefully. “The next time you leave this house, you will tell someone where you're going. Understood?” Cordelia said angry and I nodded. I looked down, but Cordelia laid her fingers under my chin and lifted it up. “Don't do this again” she whispered with tears in her eyes and I nodded. “Promise” I said to her through my mind and she smiled lightly.

Cordelia stepped back and walked to the staircase. Zoe grabbed my hand and asked quietly “You okay?” “Yeah, a little bit cold, but okay.” She smiled and let my hand go. I walked to my room and immediately took a shower. My mind wandered to the hug I shared with Cordelia and my cheeks reddened. I was still in the shower and couldn't help but think about her arms around my body.
I sensed her in the next room and tried to read her mind, but she blocked me. “You don't get access to my mind this easily, little one” I heard in my head and sighed. Of course Cordelia would notice when I tried to sneak into her thoughts. I turned the shower off and stepped out of it. “I'm sorry” I thought and got dressed. “Sleep well, sweetheart” Cordelia whispered in my head and I smiled.

In my room I got dressed into my pj's and sat down on my bed.