3. Run

"I'll follow you as my Alpha."

These sacred words, first spoken hundreds of years ago, still defined the lives of the werewolves. They constructed their inner worlds and the sense of self. Who they were, where they belonged to and what was their place in this world.

One by one they spoke those words placing their right hand on Shawn's left shoulder and lowering their heads in respect. 

"I am your Alpha," Shawn declared his voice full of surfaced authority. "Follow me as we run in our wolf forms."

He turned around and started to walk towards the forest. He didn't need to look back to sense his pack following him. His clothes tore apart as he let his body transform into a wolf. The swift uncomfortable feeling of heightened senses quickly changed into what his brother had once described as a deep sense of purpose.  Shawn had never experienced anything like that. His inner rebellion against taking his brother's place faded away. He was the Alpha now. Shawn let out a howl and soon the others joined him celebrating the balance that had returned to their pack after Seth Cage's death.

***********************************************************************************************

Fay covered her ears. The howls made her sick to her stomach. He really was gone. 

Low turned up the music to cover to sound that echoed from the forest. 

"I'm sorry you had to hear that," Low spoke over the music. She and Fay were the only ones, who were not taking part in the Run. Even the She-Wolf Pack was there honoring the tradition and taking are of Evelyn who as an Alpha's mate had to be there though unable to transform.

"They are celebrating that Seth is dead," Fay said. "How can they do that?"

"No Fay... they are celebrating their new alpha."

Fay shrugged. "Same thing." 

Low knew arguing wouldn't help nor bring any comfort to her friend. 

"I can't stay here. I can't bear to the thought of seeing someone else taking his place. I can't be here where everything reminds me of him."

"Ok," Low said and hugged her sobbing friend. "We need to make a plan then."

 A plan that entails you not killing yourself, she thought. Fay's state of mind was taking a toll on Low too. It also made her wonder, should Qiana and Dr. Jacobs continue their pursuit to find a way to bring Fay's wolf-side back. As a wolf, she would feel it much stronger than now. Even as a human she was in pieces. 

"Maybe we can go to Max," Low suggested. Fay withdrew from her arms.

"I will never want to see her again," she spat out in anger.

"What are you talking about? She's your oldest friend," Low tried to reach for Fay's arm, but she pulled it away. 

"She saw this coming, Low! The very first time we met, she injected this idea of Seth being a dominating dog into my mind with her mysterious dream talks. She had seen how Seth Cage would stand in my way. But it was nothing but bullshit! She made me believe in her bullshit and deliberately left out the rest of that dream. Fuck!"

"Hey... Calm down. Wh- what are you trying to say? That Max knew Seth was going to die?"

"She saw Seth dragging me down a busy street. She saw a billboard with red letters that I couldn't read. There was a Nike billboard telling us to run! Low, can't you see, it was a prophecy. She made me believe her cruel version of it! Seth didn't stand in my way, he never tried to take away my purpose in life!  What Seth did was stand between me and a bullet. So no, I never want to see her again!"

Low bit her lip. She didn't believe Max had deliberately misled Fay. Max saw Fay as her sister and had always gone the extra mile to help her. But now she understood, why Fay didn't want to take any of her calls nor messages. She needed to call Max herself and talk to her about this.

"Low, change the song. I don't want Bon Jovi."

***********************************************************************************************

The pack was back from the Run. It was already close to midnight. Shawn wanted to make sure there were no new messages from Peter Holloway about the West. As he sat down and opened the laptop, Evelyn walked in. It had been a busy night and they had hardly been able to have even a short conversation.

"Hey," she greeted with a smile. How he loved her smile. When she smiled at him, her eyes told him secrets no one else knew.

"Hey," he replied. "Come hear."

Evelyn walked to him and he pulled her down on his lap. Evelyn chuckled. 

"So how's the big scary Alpha doing?" she whispered. 

Shawn cupped her face and caressed her cheek with his thumb. 

"Now that you're here," Shawn placed a small kiss on her lips. "He's doing excellent."

Evelyn laughed against his lips. She was relieved to see Shawn this way again. This was the Shawn she had come to know and love during their time on the island. In the forest, he had been something else. Overpowering, unyielding and animalistic. 

"Did I scare you?" he asked sensing her feelings.

"Maybe a little bit," she nodded. Now it was Shawn's turn to give her a smile of secrets.

"The wolf in you liked it," he said.

"Maybe."

This time Shawn's kiss was far from small. It was demanding and so passionate that Evelyn had to pull back to catch a breath. She placed her hand on his chest. She glanced at the laptop.

"Do you still have a lot to do?" she asked. Shawn shook his head.

"I'll just check my email and then I'll come to bed."

Evelyn stood up, walked back to the door.

"Can't wait to have an Alpha in my bed," she said over her shoulder. She tried to be a confident flirt, but a blush rose to her cheeks. Shawn's thunderous chuckle filled the room.

"Woman, be careful. You don't know what's coming fro you," he said.

He would enjoy this feeling now that it still was strong enough to cover the sorrow of today's goodbyes.

Shawn opened his email. Nothing from Holloway, but there was an email, that caught his eye. Henry Trinh. Shit!