23. Dark emptiness

"What is my answer? I'll tell you my f*cking answer!" Serafina hissed in her mind as she watched a group of ravens push the hospital bed with her unconscious brother on it, towards the helicopter. 

She wanted to go check up on Seth, but from the corner of her eye, she saw Henry walking towards the doors and motioning her to follow.

The bed was lifted inside the helicopter and the door closed. She could no longer see Seth. 

With a sigh, she followed Henry and walked in right behind him.

She let her eyes linger on his back, shoulder, and head. She memorized every little detail. 

"What is my answer?" she thought again. "Here's my answer; I will be your downfall. I will have the power. Not you. Just you wait, you piece of shit. You're going to be destroyed. And I'm going to be smart about it. You will not see it coming. I am my mother's daughter."

She let herself fantasize Henry on his knees - begging.

"What happens now?" she asked. 

"I have a laboratory in the basement. My scientists will run some tests."

"Ok," she said and continued in her mind: "You will beg."

A small team of scientists in white lab coats waited for them in the basement. Humans, she noticed and wondered why the Trihns had exposed themselves to humans. She also wondered why Henry never left the room as the lab coat humans started to examine her. They took a blood sample, a bone marrow biopsy, x-rays, ECG, MRI... Test after test. And he never left. He stood leaning against the wall gazing at her.

Serafina decided not to ignore him. She answered his gaze and didn't hide from it. 

Finally, she decided to break the silence that had been between them for hours.

"Why me?"

Henry kept leaning against the wall. 

"You are your mother's daughter."

"Were you inside my mind again?"

"Inside your mind?" he frowned. "No. You would've known had I been there."

"Ok. Why are you so obsessed with my mother? Do you want to avenge yours?" 

Henry laughed. A genuine laugh. 

"I have no need for revenge. But I guess you could say I'm obsessed with your mother."

"Why?"

"You know why?"

"I don't."

"You do."

"Do I?" 

Henry pushed himself away from the wall. Serafina was sitting on an examination table. Henry walked to her. She wondered why but made sure not to show that to him. Slowly he bent his back and leaned forward. He put his hands on the examination table and Serafina found herself between his arms her forehead against his. Henry's breath touched her skin. She made her body stay relaxed and not react in any way. 

"Do you really want me to prove it to you?" he asked. "Do you want me to go back to that black wall deep in your mind? And break that wall?"

"I'm not hiding anything. You know I envy my brothers."

"You know there's something, deep, very deep inside you. Something hidden."

"I don't know that."

"Ok then..." Serafina heard him saying and the room disappeared. She could feel him inside her mind and forcing it to go in different directions - like he was searching for something. After a while he found it. Serafina felt a dark emptiness all around her. She hated the familiar feelings it woke in her. She wanted to run away from it, but her mind was not her own. She couldn't run nor try to hide the dark emptiness. 

She felt like the little girl in her bed in the middle of the night squeezing the blanket tightly. So tightly that her knuckles turned white. Or like a teenager who made sure to fill her mind and days with so many activities, that there was no time to feel and notice the dark emptiness. Or like the young adult who lived for the adrenaline rush that forced her to concentrate on the moment and nothing else. 

"Why are you running from this?" she heard Henry's voice. 

She didn't have an answer.

"This is what makes you you. Why are you running from it? Why are you repeating your mother's mistake? Yes... your mother had the same darkness until she faced it. She stopped running."

"And she died for that!" Serafina snapped. 

"She died for her pack - for her children. This gave her courage and means to do that." 

"Get out of my mind... Get out of my mind!" She was still in the darkness but knew he was right in front of her. She lifted her hands and pushed. She couldn't see him but felt him against her hands. He moved away from her. 

"Get out of my mind," she breathed. The room appeared. 

"I want that darkness," Henry spoke.

***********************************************************************************************

FINALLY a new chapter!!!  AND I'm writing another one. I'll publish it tomorrow or on Thursday.

Thank you for reading!

Thank you for voting!

Thank you for commenting! (Who's your favorite: Evelyn, Fay or Serafina?)

M