27. Absence - Part 1

Talk about a resurrection. 

Seth Cage, in his full glory, standing by the hospital bed with nothing but a towel covering him. 

His hair was wet. Water drops, like small crystals, decorated his torso. What used to be a deadly silver wound, was now a battle scar reminding (with toned muscles) Fay, that he was a deadly beast. Someone you did not want to battle.

Fay felt like a teenager again, drooling over the Alpha's son. 

"Damn," she whispered again. She turned her eyes away as shyness overtook her. A teenager had been caught; Seth tilted his head. His little signature move held a special meaning when Fay was on the receiving end.  When he tilted his head for her, Fay knew he was teasing, challenging, and telling her "I got this." 

"Ar- are you ok?" she cleared her throat.

Warm and friendly smile went all the way to Seth's chocolate eyes. 

"Based on your reaction, Holloway, I am," he chuckled. 

"Uh... right. You know what they say... Absence makes the heart grow fonder," she laughed shaking her head. 

Seth lifted his hand towards her. It took a while before she realized he was expecting her to hand the bag to him. She slipped it off her shoulder.

"Thank you," he said. Their hands touched before Fay let go of the strap. The tingling sensation made Fay smile. 

Seth placed the bag on the bed and pulled out his toothbrush and toothpaste. 

Before stepping back into the bathroom he looked at Fay over his shoulder. 

"No more absence, Holloway."

***********************************************************************************************

Word had got around that Seth had recovered and was leaving the clinic. Several pack members had gathered at the parking lot. As Seth and Fay stepped out they surrounded them and greeted Seth with warm smiles. 

"We are so glad you are alive and well," an older female wolf said. Fay recognized her as one of Elise Cage's closest friends. 

"Thank you, Kathy," Seth squeezed her hand gently. "It's wonderful to see you all. Thank you for coming."

After polite, yet genuinely friendly small talk Seth and Fay were left alone. 

"I did not expect this," Seth said more to himself than to start a conversation.

"What?"

"They like me though I'm not their alpha."

Fay frowned. 

"They are still connected to Shawn. They follow him as their alpha," Seth explained.

"Come on, Seth," Fay laughed. "They would never choose him over you." Fay knew it had nothing to do with choice, but still, the idea of Seth not being the Alpha was ludicrous. Seth was born to lead and he had trained for that position all his life. Shawn, on the other hand, was nothing but a rebellious and arrogant lone wolf. A talented tracker, yes, but not an alpha. 

"What are you going to do?" she asked understanding how strange the situation must have felt for him. And not just strange. It was also dangerous.

Seth didn't answer. Fay's eyes widened as she sensed his emotions.

"Seth... That can't happen. It can't go that far. Not now that Finnigan is waiting to act," she pleaded.

"I guess, you'll have to keep your oath then," Seth said. 

"My oath?" Fay asked. 

"You promised to protect me."

"What?" Tears started to blur her eyes. 

"New York, Fay. You promised to protect me and my pack."

"This is not happening," she said. She was crying now. "Seth! You are not... He is not-"

"Fay," he stopped her. There was no teasing in his eyes nor was his head tilted. "He will step down."

He should do that, but Fay had seen Shawn as the Alpha and experienced his strong presence. 

"What if he won't?"

"He will."

"But what if he won't?" Fay repeated though she dreaded his answer.

"Give me the keys, I'll drive."

Him not answering felt even worse. He stared her down and lifted his brows.

"The keys, Fay."

With hesitation, she placed them on his open palm.

"He is your brother."

"I know."

This is not happening, she thought. She didn't get her mate back for this. If things would go as far as Seth's emotions had suggested, there would be only one winner - Finnigan.

***********************************************************************************************

Hey lovelies!

I decided to publish Absence in two parts, because I need to edit it a bit, but still want to share the beginning with you. 

It's been pretty awesome to notice how many reads this series had gotten during the couple of weeks! Yay!!

Thank you for reading, voting and commenting!! I LOOOVE hearing from you :)

M