20. Butterflies

Hey, lovelies!

Before you start reading this chapter, I'd love to know, who is your favorite character and why.

***************************************************************************************

He had all the power so she had to go.  No matter how much they hated it, she had to go. 

When they dropped her off at a small airstrip, they didn't speak much. They only hugged her tightly, knowing there was nothing they could say or do to make this easier for her. 

Serafina had told Shawn everything that has happened in the cabin.  She had even told her brother how for a moment he had been her whole world -everything she ever wanted and would ever want. Serafina had also told her brother, how he had seen the secret she had been hiding her whole life - the resentment of not being an alpha. Serafina was grateful for her brother had not reacted in a condescending way. He had been understanding and shown empathy - not sympathy. 

Now as she climbed the narrow stairs into the private jet, Serafina felt relief she had shared her feelings and thoughts with her brother. Secrets never did anyone any good.

Shawn, on the other hand, was not relieved as she watched her sister - baby sister - step into the plane. Was this the right decision? Was he sacrificing Serafina for Seth? Would that be the right thing to do? What if they would lose Serafina? 

The sounds of the turbines couldn't cover the what-ifs in his mind nor his father's stern voice:

"Keep her safe, Shawn. I'm counting on you."

***********************************************************************************************

Serafina was the only passenger on that plane. It was a lavish plane - well it was a private plane so of course, it was lavish. But there was something about this one that made Serafina feel, the owner had gone the extra mile with its looks. Just like her father had gone the extra mile with the boat he had bought for her mother. 

A flight attendant, human, dressed in a dark blue suit that highlighted her hourglass figure., walked to her with a polite smile. She was carrying a small tray with a glass of bubbly drink.

"Some champagne, miss?" 

Serafina looked at the human's comes-with-the-profession smile and the glass. This was bizarre. A road to hell, paved with luxury.

She shook her head.

"It is from France," the women kept smiling. 

"I'm not a fan of champagne. I'm more a beer girl."

"Well, would you like a beer then?"

She shook her head again. Alcohol was the last thing she needed now.

The woman's face fell a little, but she quickly recovered herself. 

"Please tell me if there's anything you need."

"Thank you, I will," Serafina nodded. I took a moment before the woman took a step back and biting her lower lip she turned and walked to the front of the plane. But before she stepped behind the curtain separating the cabin and the galley,  Serafina asked: "Do you work for Mr. Trinh or is he renting this plane?"

"Yes.. he owns the plane and I work for him." The woman had a frown on her face like she was not comfortable talking about Henry Trinh.

"How long have you worked for him?" 

"About three years," she said. Her professional smile started to falter. "Are you sure you don't want anything to drink or eat. I have freshly baked cinnamon rolls."

"I'm sure, thank you. What is he like - as a boss?"

The woman looked at the tray on her hands. Her lips parted, but she shut them in a tight line.

"Don't worry, I won't tell him," Serafina smiled. The human was nervous. Maybe her smile would help.

"I... I don't know. I've never met him in person," she started, but Serafina could smell the adrenaline in her. She was not telling the truth. Humans often had a distinct scent when they were lying. 

"Ok..." Serafina read her name tag. "...Emma. I'll let you know if I need anything."

Emma nodded and quickly disappeared behind the curtain. Poor human, Serafina thought. Even as a werewolf, she was afraid of Henry Trinh. She couldn't imagine how terrifying it was to face a creature like that when you were nothing but a human.

A black Audi was waiting for her on the Teterboro Airport runway as she stepped out of the plane. The driver, a raven, opened the back door for her but never said a word to her.   

"Great manners," Serafina mumbled but the raven didn't pay her any attention. From the car window, she could see Emma standing on the stairs and looking at the car. Serafina wondered was the human there willingly. 

***********************************************************************************************

The closer she got to the Corvus Enterprises headquarters, the raven nest, the more emotional she got. She felt too much to even understand what she was feeling. Serafina had never been a fan of big cities, but now the glass tower valleys were even more suffocating than before. She closed her eyes and dreamed of waves and sand. Unfortunately the waves and sand appeared as they had when Henry Trinh had manipulated her mind. She had lost her safe place. She had lost her own private escape.

The car stopped. She kept her eyes closed until the driver opened the door for her. She stepped out. Butterflies in her stomach made her annoyed. She was not annoyed about being nervous. She was annoyed because she recognized excitement. 

"What's wrong with me?" she hissed at herself. She was about to meet a monster. A mind manipulating sociopath and part of her was excited!

"If I come out of this alive, I need to see a shrink."

She walked through the automatic glass doors and Henry Trinh was waiting for her in the lobby. He stood there, legs slightly apart and arms folded on his chest. 

"Like seriously, I need a shrink," she thought. 

The monster was wearing black suit pants and a white shirt with sleeves rolled up and the top buttons unbuttoned. He could have been on one of those giant billboards in Time Square. 

"Serafina," he said. If Serafina didn't know any better, she would've thought there was a brief smile on his lips that reached his eyes too. 

"Mr. Trinh," she nodded and stopped a couple of feet away from him reminding herself he was a cold emotionless creature. This was just a cruel game and he had all the power. Serafina had decided not to show him her fear nor insecurity. So, she lifted her chin up and looked straight into his eyes.

This time she did see a smile.