6. Birth

Evelyn let her body rest against Shawn. She felt relief and joy now that she could sense his dominance gone. She smiled thinking how easy it was to forgive when you could feel that the other one was genuinely sorry and regretting his actions.  

"Don't you think it's cruel? Not telling her," Evelyn sighed.

"It's the right way to handle this. She could go there alone as she did with mother... And before you kill me with your eyes, I don't blame her for anything. She was trying to help. But if she now goes there alone to help, she might put Seth in bigger danger.  So we're not going to tell her yet."

Besides, the odds of getting him back alive are next to none, he thought. Fay didn't need to have hope and then lose him again. That would be cruel.

Younge, Seth's closest friend, and the right-hand man had informed them, that the video was real. Seth had not been edited into it. 

"Promise me, Ev," he said.

Evelyn didn't want to, but she promised, hoping Shawn knew what he was doing. 

***********************************************************************************************

"Good morning, sir," a woman in a white lab coat said like there was nothing strange about Henry Trinh lying on her laboratory floor shirtless and sweaty.

"What time is it?" he mumbled putting his weight on his elbows.

"7.15, sir."

"Right. Do you have anything for a headache?"

"Did you experiment with something?"

Henry eyed the woman. She knew better not to push any further.

"Forgive me, sir. I meant no disrespect. I only wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any side effects."

"Side effects?" Henry felt agitation grow in him. 

"Yes, similar to ones with taking aspirin and alcohol together."

So no pain killers, Henry groaned in his mind. He stood up and picked up his shirt - or what was left of it.  He threw it over his shoulder. Before exiting the lab, he looked over his shoulder.

"You will not remember anything," he spoke. The woman nodded. She closed her eyes. Henry left before she started to shake uncontrollably.

Back in his living quarters, several floors above his office, Henry stretched his soar muscles. It had been a rough night, but once again it had been worth it. A smile formed on his lips as he remembered the hallucinations - the beautiful and glorious beast.

That memory made him pull out the file, he had stored under his bed several days ago. Leaning against the window wall he opened the file. 

He was not interested in her pictures, so he skipped them. He understood she was considered beautiful, like all female wolves, but Henry was not interested in her blonde hair, chocolate eyes nor her slender but feminine body. He flipped pages until he found what he was, once again, looking for. 

There was nothing average about her. She had been born premature, but healthy and strong. When she had taken her first breath, she hadn't cried but observed her surroundings. Henry let his finger trace the paper. It stopped at the bottom of the page. Words describing the newborn excited him. He knew them by heart. His lips moved slightly as he read them. 

"Born ice cold," he whispered.

Like a Vaara wolf, she came into this world, silent and ice cold. As she grew up, the Vaara gene weakened, but unlike her brothers, she had it and Henry was willing to dig it out and liberate it. 

Soon he would send her brother a message and give him his terms. 

Henry knew he would accept them. Why would he not? This would be beneficial to both of them. Of course, he would accept them. Henry was feeling generous. Maybe he would add a nice little gift to top it off. 

Yes. He would do that. 

If Shawn Cage would, for some mindless reason, turn him down, Henry would take what he wanted. And he would kill the whole pack. 

Of course, he will say yes, Henry Trinh thought. 

"Born ice cold," he whispered.