42. My love

Taking down those three Onijas had been easy. But nothing came easily after that. They were no longer fooled by a human nor female wolves.

After tying the hands and feet of the three, Rebecca and Fanny disappeared into the bushes. Lucy climbed back into the car. But just as she turned the engine on something hit the roof. The loud bang made a scream escape her lips. She screamed again as the front window broke and she was pulled out. She still had the gun, but it flew off her hand as her body slammed against the car hood. 

"Lucy," she heard Rebecca crying out. The man grabbed Lucy's ponytail and slammed her head against the hood.  It made her vision blurry. She tried to move knowing she couldn't take another hit. She was able to roll on the ground because her attacker had moved on to deal with Rebecca,

Rebecca shouldn't have come back, Lucy thought crawling towards the male. She tried to grab his leg but he kicked her away. The last thing Lucy saw was Rebecca, shifting into her wolf form but being slammed to the ground before the shift was finished.

The gun, she thought. Her vision was disappearing, but she needed to get the gun before the male would kill Rebecca. She looked around. Her head got heavier and heavier. Before she could locate the gun, she forgot where she was and what was happening. She lost her vision. Near her a gun went off. 

**********************************************************************************************'

Fanny had to cover her mouth not to let her sobs escape. Rebecca had gone back to Lucy after an Onija had jumped on the car roof. He had appeared out of nowhere. They had barely caught his scent when he was already on the car. 

Now both Lucy and Rebecca lay on the ground, Lucy's head smashed and Rebecca with a bullet in hers. Sweet Rebecca.

Fanny ran deeper into the bush franticly searching for Norah, who was waiting for them. 

"Over here," she heard her whisper. Fanny fell into Norah's arms and covered her face into her stomach. She couldn't help contain herself anymore. Norah pulled her tightly against her and cooed her like a child. They sat there for a while behind the quail bush. It didn't offer them much cover.

"We should move," Fanny sniffed. She wiped her eyes with her sleeve. Norah nodded. She helped Fanny get on her feet. 

"Promise me something, ok," she said taking Fanny's hand into hers. "You'll go back to Alaska after this. He deserves to see you at least one more time."

Tears filled Fanny's eyes and she nodded. 

***********************************************************************************************

It took time to recover from the shot that echoed through the sky. And from the muffled sobs that had followed it. Qiana understood what they meant. She and Serafina had been able to sneak close the cabin from the opposite direction. So close that they were able to see the back of the car behind the cabin.

Lucy should have driven away. That was the plan. There was only that much a human could do.

But the car was still there. 

"We should have left," Qiana whispered.

"They made a choice," Serafina said. She said it more to convince herself than Qiana that they had done the right thing. "I need to get in before we all die."

For the hundredth of the time, she touched the pocket of her jacket. The serum was there. 

Before waiting any further she jumped up from their hiding spot and sprinted towards the cabin. Qiana was right behind her.