13. Shift

Fay had never experienced physical pain like that before as her body involuntarily started to shift into her wolf form. Her skin burned as it tore and gave way to dark grey fur. Her bones snapped and were forcefully molded into a completely new form. Her numb and sleeping senses suddenly came fully alive. So alive, that her rational mind was overpowered by animalistic instincts. 

Her instincts screamed of danger. Something touched her side and she attacked. She pinned it down and was about to sink her teeth into it.

"Fay!" something screamed. It was a familiar voice, but she didn't have time to figure out whose it was because she was pushed away from the danger. Something appeared around her torso. She needed to get free! Fay caught several scents and understood she was fighting against many. She started to panic as the thing around her torso tightened and she could smell Qiana's scent. She couldn't protect her friend if she had to fight against many. 

Fay was ready to die protecting Qiana. She would attack with everything in her. Her over-alert senses were making it hard to understand her surroundings, but she would fight even if everything was over-sharp yet blurry.  She prepared herself, but just as she was about to jump and bite, a voice echoed in her mind: 

"Calm down." 

Fay froze. The voice penetrated her every cell and made her body relax. Slowly her mind started to take over her senses. 

"Seth," she cried out in her mind. Once again his voice echoes everywhere. She felt her heart grow heavy. Grief. His memory would never leave him.

"Calm down," she heard again. Her ears moved back and forth. This felt different. This was different.

She had been hearing Seth's voice, but it had always been a distant echo searching for someone. Now it spoke straight to her.

"Seth?" she whispered.

"You got your wolf back."

Fay couldn't contain her bliss. She let out a joyous whimper as Seth's words sank in. She was in her wolf form talking to her mate.

"H- how are you talking to me?" she asked.

"I've been trying to reach you for a while. I'm here, Fay."

"You're alive?" Fay whimpered. 

"I'm alive."

"Oh, Seth! H- Wh- You're not gone," sobs filled her mind. 

"No, Holloway. I'm not gone."

***********************************************************************************************

After a while, Seth told Fay to shift back to her human form. There was something more to his words, but he wouldn't explain. He had just told her to talk to his brother.

Fay let go of her wolf. A high pitched yelp escaped her lips as her human body surfaced and the wolf disappeared. The shift shouldn't be painful - there might be a little discomfort, but not excruciating pain like this. She lay on the floor gasping for air. Someone covered her naked body with a white bed sheet. It was Qiana. She looked terrible with bloody scratch and bite marks all over her skin.

"Are you alright?" she asked eyeing her friend cautiously. 

"What happened?" Fay asked touching Qiana's injured arm. She flinched but didn't pull it away.

"You went a little crazy," Qiana said.

"I did that?!" Fay gasped. "Q, I'm so sorry!"

"I'll be fine."

"I know you'll be fine, but I'm still horrified. I had no idea I attacked you. I just sensed danger and thought... I don't even know what I thought."

Qiana nodded. 

"What made you stop?" 

Fay looked at Qiana and realized she already knew the answer. 

"He did," Fay smiled.  Qiana smiled too. Then she laughed.

"I'm glad he did. I almost had to shift to protect myself and kick your ass. You were a total animal."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It was pretty impressive. I've never seen a female wolf fight like that. There were four of us trying to hold you but you still managed to attack," Qiana said.

Fay noticed Dr. Jacobs and the three nurses in the room. They were all on the ground, injured like Qiana and trying to get their strengths back after a fight. 

Before Fay got a chance to apologize to them too, Qiana hugged her.

"You got your wolf  back!"

"I got my wolf back," Fay whispered. The pain was forgotten. Her wolf was alive. Fay hugged Qiana tightly.

***********************************************************************************************

This chapter was quite short, but I wanted to keep it separate from the one I'm writing tomorrow.  A sweet little spoiler: tomorrow Serafina will meet Henry Trinh! Yikes! I can't wait for you guys to read it!!!

A big thank you for reading!

A huge thank you for voting!

A gigantic thank you for commenting!

Happy new decade everyone!

Time flies. Feels like 2010 was yesterday...

M