Flowers (SDS)

"Hey, does anyone know where Ban is?" 

Everyone blinked at the question their captain had just asked. 

"Not a clue," Diane replied, shrugging her shoulders and pushing her empty mug away. 

"I haven't seen him today at all," King said, "Sorry…" 

"Perhaps he is out training, like Escanor is." Merlin suggested. 

"It's more likely he's out stealing something," Diane sighed. 

"Maybe…" Meliodas sighed, as he finished cleaning a mug and put it away. 

"We can go look for him," Elizabeth suggested.

"Nah, he'll show up eventually. We should start packing up to leave. I think we've done all we can to help regrow the forest." Meliodas said. 

"Captain is right." Gowther stated.

Everyone nodded, though King sighed dejectedly. 

The missing Fox Sin however, was neither training nor stealing. 

He was crying, although not externally. 

"Elaine…" 

He dropped some flowers onto the grave, and flopped into a crossed legged sitting position, holding his head. 

The flowers were a mix of pink and white carnations, lying on the grave in a mess. A single sakura blossom had been thrown into the mix, lying in the middle of all the flowers. 

Ban hung his head, small tears starting to fall as the fairies around him started to scatter, going back to their homes to prepare for bed. 

The sun began to set, and Ban began to talk. 

"Hey Elaine… it's been a while, huh? We haven't talked since that crazy trip to the afterlife… a lot has happened since then…" 

The white haired man's voice cracked, and he closed his eyes tightly, trying to stop the tears. 

"Things have become pretty crazy… we found the rest of the sins, Gowther, Merlin, And Escanor… now we're trying to stop the demon race from coming back to life… everything really has gone to shit…" 

He couldn't see her. Nobody could've seen her. 

But she was there. She was always there. 

Elaine smiled softly, sitting herself down next to Ban, and he could feel her presence, even if she couldn't be seen. 

"Strange things have started happening to us too, we’ve had our share of encounters with the 12 Commandments, even took out some of them, but the Captain ain’t telling us something. I can tell.”

“Of course he isn’t silly,” Elaine responded, laughing a little, “Everyone has their share of secrets. Even your friend.”

Ban laughed a little, and nodded, “Everyone has their share of secrets, yeah… I almost feel bad, I didn’t even tell anyone I was coming here… bet they’re all worried about me…”

“Of course they are, you are their friend, and companion.” Elaine replied.

He could just barely hear her voice. Just barely.

Ban continued to talk, telling her about their journey, and everything that had happened to them since their last encounter. How he was worried about King’s mental health, how Diane wouldn’t stop flirting with Meliodas, and it was making everyone, especially Elizabeth and Meliodas, uncomfortable. 

How he suspected Elizabeth and Meliodas were secretly in a serious relationship, how it was obvious that Escanor is head over heels for Merlin, and how obvious King’s crush on Diane was. 

“My brother has a crush on a giant?” Elaine asked.

“Yep, it’s more obvious than Escanor’s feelings for Merlin,” Ban laughed.

The sun continued to go down. What had started as a quick visit at 8pm, had lengthened to 10pm, then 12, then 2am, 4am.

Ban fell asleep at 12am.

Elaine picked up the flowers he had left, smiling at them. 

“I love you Ban…" she murmured, kissing his forehead softly as he slept. 

Then, with a soft glow, she disappeared, leaving the flowers on her grave. 

Flowers started to grow around it, pink and white carnations. Along with it, a small tree sprouted. A sakura tree. 

The sun started to rise again, and Ban's snoring stopped. The Fox Sin woke up, rubbing his temple and sitting upright. 

"Damn… I must have fallen asleep…" he sighed, and then he laughed when he saw all the flowers, as well as the sakura sapling. 

"You really worked your magic this time… huh Elaine?" 

"There you are," a voice behind him startled Ban, and he stood up, whirling around. 

King was hovering there, his spear behind him in pillow form, and frowning at Ban. 

"Ah, just you… Sorry about that, must have fallen asleep." 

"Have you been here the entire time?" King asked, grabbing his pillow and hugging it. 

"Yeah, just went for a walk." Ban replied, starting to walk away. 

"Were you visiting her?"

"Visiting who?" 

"Don't play dumb," King glared at him. 

Ban smiled sadly, "Yeah… I was visiting her…" 

"We should head back to the tavern, everyone else will be waking up. They'll be wondering where we are." King stated, starting to fly away. Ban smirked. 

"Yeah, alright."