Chapter Five: Papa, don't leave me (e)

Although it was a good distances away we could all tell what was happening, our village was under attack. The four of us jumped up and raced towards the village. My heart broke when I saw the smoke in the distance as we reached the top of the hill where our house was. We could see the flames that were starting to swallow the fields and the homes at the end of the village. "Take the girls and go back to the woods," Papa ordered.

"No Papa I want to help," I cried with tears slipping down my face. Hillsdale was a peaceful village this could not be happening.

Papa turned and locked eyes with me. "Samantha I need you to listen to me. Go with your mother and sister and hide in the woods. Keep them safe," He said, placing a hand on my shoulder before turning and running towards the attackers. I stood frozen in my spot. I would have stayed there for hours except Chloe placed a hand on my shoulder and pulled me away. I turned and ran with them back into the woods. We ran for a little while before stopping and hiding behind bushes. I looked around and saw the fear and worry in their faces. My heart broke a little more every time I heard a scream and a crackle of the fire saying that one more building was destroyed.

"Hello ladies," We spun around and came face to face with a small group of bandits.

"Girls run." Mama whispered. I wanted to argue, but Chloe grabbed my arm. As we raced away we heard a sword slide out of its sheath, then Mama gave a short cry of pain. I looked over my shoulder and saw Mama fall to the ground.

"No!" I screamed,ed trying to break loose of Chloe's hand, but she was pulling me away.

"Mama would want you to be safe," She cried. I know she was right, but I hated to leave Mama. I turned back around and ran hand in hand with Chloe, tears streaming down both our cheeks.

"Come back girls, we just want to play," One of the men chuckled. There were hoof beats now, they were looking for us on horses.

"Ah!" Chloe yelped as her dress caught on a branch. "Sammy run," She whispered as the horse drew near.

"No, we just lost Mama, I am not losing you too." I cried, trying to pull her free.

"I will find you Sam, I am not leaving you," She said grabbing my hands and shoving me away. "Just go," She cried. I nodded and took off through the woods. I stopped and climbed up a tree swinging through the trees back to where I left Chloe. The men had just found her and were now pulling her free of the branches.

"Fight them Chloe," I whispered, wanting so desperately to save my sister, but she would kill me if I tried. I gasped as they knocked her out and tossed her onto one of the horses, she was trapped between the man and horse's neck. My heart broke further. I just saw Mama murdered and Chloe captured. Papa... Where is Papa? I jumped out of the trees and quickly made my way back to the village. The smoke stung my eyes, as I raced through the village. My whole body shuddered as I saw bodies lying everywhere. People I had grown up with were now gone. I heard a gasp coming from an alleyway. I spun around and saw Jack sitting up against the wall blood rushing from his wounds. I raced over and dropped down beside him. "Jack," I cried, ripping my jacket in two and pressing it against his wounds.

"Samantha?" he asked, his eyes slowly blinking open.

"Yes, Jack it's me, Sam." I said in a whisper not trusting myself to speak any louder.

"I'm sorry I was so mean to you... I hope you will forgive me." He choked.

I shake my head. "I do forgive you Jack, please don't give up. Once you are healed we can make things right between us." I said quickly.

It's Jack's turn to shake his head. "No, Sam it's too late for me. But you, you have your whole life ahead of you. Make this village proud, like we know you will." He coughed as blood spilled from his mouth. His eyes closed and his head dropped to the side.