Chapter Twenty-Two: You Hit A Good Target (e)

"Wait, the ball next week is canceled?" I asked at dinner a few nights later.

Alakay glared at me. "Try to sound a little disappointed," he said.

I ignored Alakay and turned to Benedict who was across from me. "From my understanding, balls don't just get canceled. They take a long time to get ready for and everyone is always so excited for them. I mean, I've heard people travel for days to come," I said. I know that Isabella and Chloe were both very excited for the ball. It was all that they'd been talking about.

Benedict nodded at my question. "It takes a lot to get a ball canceled. However, with recent reports of heightened attacks on the roads and reported movement from Shadowed Peaks. King Philip is sending troops to look into it," he said.

Louis took over the explanation. "Like you said with balls people travel for days and King Philip doesn't want to have the risk of parties being attacked as they try to make their way here," he said.

Alakay sighed as he shook his head. "I was looking forward to the ball. It's been a while since we've got to just relax and I wanted to meet Sam's sister," he said grinning at me. "Erik said she is beautiful," he said. It was my turn to glare at him, earning laughter from all those around. "But I guess this just means more time for us to practice your dancing. You are going to be the envy of every man as all the girls flock to you when the ball happens," Alakay said, laughing as I turned a shade of red to match the tomatoes on my plate.

The following day it was our turn to walk the streets. I hadn't had much time to be out in the town in the month that I had now been in Jarrow. Most of my time was spent in the compound training or at the castle riding with the princess. Why she'd taken a fancy to me was still in question. My brothers teased me relentlessly about it, but at least it now meant that I got to see Chloe whenever I was there.

"Sam," a group of voices called. We all turned to see Itzel and her friends walking towards us. Alakay pushed me forward.

"Hello," I said as we stopped to talk.

"We were so excited to hear that you had been given apprenticeship," Nancy said with a grin that quickly faded.

"But devastated to hear that the ball is canceled. We were so looking forward to getting to spend the night with you," Itzel added with sad eyes.

I nodded. "Yes, it was sad to hear that the ball was canceled. The King is simply looking out for his people," I said. I glanced at where James and Kole stood, not sure if they were really that disappointed that I wouldn't be able to spend time with them.

Kole's next comment fixed that. "Maybe you could spend the afternoon with us? We were hoping to get to know you better," he said. I wasn't sure how to respond as I had my duties, but was also supposed to be building relationships with the people of Jarrow.

Benedict stepped forward. "Unfortunately, the entire afternoon is out of the question, but we are heading to The Lions Den for lunch if you'd like to join. Maybe you boys could play a few rounds of darts," he said.

Soon I found myself standing around the dartboard with James, Kole, and the girls. My brothers had taken a table a bit further back to give me 'bonding time' as Alakay called it. He had also warned the boys of my talents. I soon realized that, as we went further into the game of darts, it was pure luck that I had beaten Alakay the other time. I had found my match. James and I tied the first round with Kole slightly behind, but enough to knock him out of the competition. For a moment I forgot that I was disguised as a boy seeking answers about my past that now lay buried with my papa. I was simply a youth hanging out with others my age. I groaned as one of my darts landed to the right of the bored buried into a wanted poster of La Fray.