Chapter Twenty-Eight: I've Always Wanted A Sister (e)

"Let's go," Erik said, walking into the room.

Startled, I came to my feet. "Where are we going?" I asked, but got no response. Erik's body was tense as I followed him through the halls. My heartbeat speeding up as we neared Orion's office.

"Sit," Erik said, pointing to one of the chairs in front of Orion's desk. I obeyed. Then Erik left again. My mind raced. Had the entire compound been informed of my lies? Were my brothers packing their bags as I sat here? Would I even get a chance to see Chloe before being run out of Jarrow? I shook my head. Those thoughts could not be the ones overtaking my mind right now. I closed my eyes; remembering the reason I came to Jarrow. Remembering why I was willing to risk it all when it would have been easier to stay with Andrew and work on his farm. But easy was not an option. Easy was not a path to take. Since coming to Jarrow everything has felt right. Felt like I am meant to be here. However, to find out why this felt so much like home, I had to find my brother and to find my brother I needed to stay in Jarrow. My eyes fluttered open as I heard two sets of footsteps coming towards me. I sat up straighter and waited. Watching as Orion and Erik walked around the desk.

Orion took a seat in his chair while Erik stood beside him. No words were spoken as the two men stared at me. I wanted to shrink back. I wanted to let the fear come out through tears and trembling, but I sat straight.

"How long did you think you could keep up these charades?" Orion asked.

"The truth is, I had no idea," I said honestly. "When Hillsdale was destroyed all I had to cling to were my papa's dying words. That my brother was out there and that I would do much for the people. I always knew I wanted to help people... to defend them, but knowing that as a girl my choices were limited," I said. Neither face changed. "When Ally came to me with the idea of how to get into knight school, I could see no other choice. I didn't want to lie. At first I argued that I could attempt as a girl and hope that my skills were enough. In the end, it didn't seem like I would be given a chance. I'm sorry for leading you on... for getting my brothers to lie for me," I said. "I will accept whatever consequences you deem fit for what I have done. Please, do not take away my brother's spots as Dragons. I know that they also lied to you and there will be trust that needs to be gained back. If it wasn't for me, they would have not even been in this predicament," I said, letting out a long breath as I tried to stay calm.

Another silence filled the room as the two men looked at me. "Erik, go bring in the four," Orion said glancing at his son. Orion stood walking around his desk to stand in front of me. "Was it worth it?" He asked.

I nodded slowly. "It was. I have gained more being a Dragon for the past five months, then I could have expected. Being here has only confirmed my desire to stand up for my people and do all I can to protect them," I said meeting his eyes. "After losing my family and village I never thought the feeling of home could be found again, yet here I feel at home. Being here has brought healing that I never imagined possible. Whatever you decide for my future, I will always be grateful for the time that you let me spend here," I said. He nodded. Before he could respond the door opened and Erik walked in followed by my brothers. I stood and walked to them.

"Are you okay?" Benedict asked, looking me over.

I nodded. "Yes," I said looking at my brothers. Unlike me, they had not gotten much sleep last night. "Thank you for all you have done for me. You have helped me more than I could ever say," I said giving each one a smile. They nodded.

"We can all say the same. Whatever is to come we will always be here for you, Sam." Alakay said.

A throat clearing brought our attention back to Orion and Erik. We all straightened and stood in silence waiting for the verdict. "Erik and I have talked with each of you. Each of you standing up for the others. Sam, each of your brothers quickly told of how your skills did not depend on your gender and that the reason they protected you was not something you asked," Orion said leaning against his desk. "The fact remains that you lied to us and that you are a girl," he said. I could sense the tension in each of my brothers. None of us liked where this was heading. I knew that this time would come, but had never figured out how I would handle it.