Chapter Nine: Your Crazy Plan Might Just Work (e)

The morning after we had returned from Hillsdale, I woke as the first rays of light came peeking through the window. Quietly sliding out of bed, not wanting to wake Ally, I froze as she moaned and rolled over quickly filling the empty space I had left. Slipping into my clothes, I grabbed an extra set that she had told me now belonged to me. "I'm going to miss you Ally," I whispered, heading to the door. I paused and turned around one last time, giving a small wave before slipping into the kitchen and grabbing a piece of bread. After I had wrapped it up and placed it on top of my clothes, I tiptoed to the door and out of the house. I made my way to the end of the path leading to their house and turned around one last time. "Thank you. You'll never fully understand how much you have done for me. Nor will I ever be able to say thank you enough," I said then turned around ready for my long journey to Jarrow, where I hoped to find my brother. At this moment I had no idea what kind of job I could get at the age of fourteen. I sighed and shook my head. I couldn't think of that right now. I glanced up at the sun to make sure I was heading in the right direction and then let my mind drift off to thoughts of the past days. I could not have been in my own little world for more than five minutes when I heard footsteps running towards me. It wasn't even five yet why on earth was someone else on the road? I turned around and was shocked to see Ally running towards me followed by Peter and Thomas. I stopped walking and waited for the three of them to catch up to me. "What are you doing here?" I questioned.

"We came to get you. Why are you leaving?" Ally asked, grabbing my wrists.

I lowered my head and kicked at the dirt. "I'm going to Jarrow to find a new life," I said quietly.

"Why did you leave without saying goodbye? We were worried," Peter said, crossing his arms.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, sucking in my bottom lip. "I don't like saying goodbye. You guys have done so much, I felt like I could not stay any longer... I knew if I waited then you would not have let me go alone," I said, slowly looking up at the three.

"Your right we would have refused to let you go by yourself," Thomas said, taking a step towards me, seeming like he was getting ready to hold me back if I decided to run. I lowered my head, not wanting to look at any of them at the moment. "And we still won't let you go alone," He said.

My head shot up and my jaw dropped. "You know the skills I have with a sword. I'll be fine," I said matter-of-factly.

Peter and Thomas chuckled. "We aren't worried about that... I'm worried you'll starve, you did tell me you burn anything you try to cook," Peter said smiling at me.

"Plus Dad and I have come up with a way to get you a job!" Ally said, with a huge grin plastered on her face.

"You did?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

"Yes we did. So you need to come back with us and we can talk about it over breakfast!" she said, letting go of my wrists. I stayed frozen to my spot not sure if this was a good idea, but then decided it would not hurt to at least go and see what they had come up with.

"Alright, I'll come," I said, taking a step towards the house.

"Good!" Ally exclaimed, jumping onto my back and hugging me tightly. "I can't wait to tell you all about it!" she said, keeping her hands tightly wrapped around my neck.

"She won't be able to listen to you if you choke her to death," Thomas chuckled, pulling his little sister off of me.

"Thank you," I said, rubbing my neck.

"Oh my goodness, I am so sorry Sam I was just so excited!" Ally said with huge eyes.

"Don't worry about it Ally I'm fine. Let's go, I'm starting to wonder what this idea of yours is," I said, grabbing her hand and walking back to their house.