Chapter Eight: Grab, Stab, and Push (e)

As we were preparing to leave when a group of ten men showed up. I was very confused. "Sam, these are some of my friends," Andrew said, waving his hand then singling out three of them. "These three were with me as Dragons," He said.

I stood in awe for a moment. I had just met four Red Dragons in one day. I bowed my head slightly. "It's an honor to meet you," I said, still not fully believing that I was standing in front of members of the Red Dragons.

"It's good to meet you too Sam. My name is Chase and I want to say that I am truly sorry for what happened," One of the Red Dragons said, stepping forward and shaking my hand.

"Thank you Chase," I said quietly, looking down at the ground. After being introduced to the rest of the men we headed back to Hillsdale.

I stood at the edge of the village biting my bottom lip, trying to prepare myself for what was to come. I felt an arm go around my shoulder and one around my waist. I looked to my left and Ally had her arm wrapped around my waist and Peter had his arm around my shoulder.

"We'll be right beside you during the whole thing," Ally said.

I nodded my head slightly and pulled away. I walked down the hill listening as the group followed behind me. When we entered the town I took a deep breath and closed my eyes tightly. The sight, the smell, and the memories were just too much. I felt my knees giving out, but before hitting the ground a pair of arms caught me. My eyes shot open and I saw Chase holding me up. With a small smile, I gave him my thanks before hurrying to where I knew Papa would still be laying. I fell to his side, trying to keep my tears away, but it just made them worse. I stayed by his side for a few minutes while those who had come with me started to dig the graves.

"Papa, I found friends. People who are helping me make this right, well at least as right as it can be," I whispered looking up and around me. "I think I'll be okay. I will find my brother and I will live on for you and for our village," I said quietly before slipping away from Papa and going to help with the graves. It was a quiet work day. We didn't stop working until dinner time. I led the group to my house where Ally and I prepared dinner. I sat with the men and Ally outside my house.

"Sam, do you want to have your parent's funeral tonight?" Andrew asked.

I quickly shook my head. "No, they would want everyone to have theirs first. Papa would not want to be put first," I said, looking around at the men.

"Your father sounds like he was a very respectable man," Andrew said smiling over at me.

"Can we have Jack and his family's funeral first?" I asked, everyone turned and gave me a questioning look. "Jack and I were pretty much enemies, but the night all this happened we made up and I want to do this to show that I meant what I said," I whispered. After dinner, we had a funeral for Jack and half of the families in my village. I wanted to keep working after that, but Andrew made me stop and we stayed in my house that night.

The following morning we dug the rest of the graves and had the rest of the funerals. Papa and Mama were the only ones left. I led a few of the men to where Mama was still laying and watched as they carried Mama back to the village and laid her next to Papa. The group stepped back to give me time with my parents.

"Don't worry about me Mama. I will be fine. I promise to be as good as possible. Papa, I will continue to practice my swordsmanship daily. I actually got to meet members of the Red Dragons," I told them as I sat between them. "I love you both and will never ever forget you," I cried, falling between them. Andrew gave me time to be with my parents before we laid them in their final resting place.

"I'm sorry Sam, but we need to head home otherwise we will be camping in the wild," Andrew said, walking over to Ally and I.

"Okay. Let me go grab a few things," I said freeing myself from Ally and running to my house. I grabbed a necklace from mom's dresser and a dress from Chloe's room. Then I walked to my father's part of the room and slowly opened the trunk that he kept his sword in. I felt the tears running down my face as I drew the sword from its place and ran my finger down the edge. "I will treasure this forever," I said, taking a deep breath, before exiting my house for the last time. I walked to the place where the men and Ally were waiting. "Okay, I'm ready," I said quietly, mounting my horse and following the party out of my village. Tears running freely down my cheeks as I passed through my village. I had the group stop at the edge of the village and turned in my saddle, silently staring at the village through blurry eyes. "I love you all and you will always be in my heart," I whispered,0 then turned and rode after my new friends.