Chapter Eleven: I'm Losing Control Of My Dragons (e)

"Who are you?" Sir Simon asked the man in the cape. The man tossed his hood back.

"Orion?" Andrew asked, stepping forward. Andrew looked like he'd seen a ghost.

The man chuckled and shook his head. "It's been awhile hasn't it Andrew?" the man said. "But Andrew... do I really look as old as my father?" the man asked, shaking his head. I watched silently as Andrew's eyes widened and a smile crossed his face.

"Why if it isn't Erik... last time I saw you you couldn't even look over the back of a horse," Andrew said.

Erik nodded and chuckled. "It's been quite a few years, so hopefully I've grown," he said, leaning on the railing of the fence around the practice circle. Sir Simon walked over and the three men started to talk.

Ally made her way over to me. "Who in the world is that?" she asked.

I shook my head. "I was going to ask you the same thing," I said, crossing my arms. "But he said he could help and I want to know how," I said, taking a breath and walking towards the group. "Excuse me, not to be rude or anything, but since you said you could help me I was wondering if you could elaborate on that," I said. All six eyes turned to me and I slightly shrank back.

"First let me introduce you," Andrew said. "Erik, I would like to introduce you to my new friend, Sam, and also to my daughter, Ally," Andrew said motioning for Ally to join the group. She walked over and smiled, but kept her mouth shut. "Sam, Ally, this is Erik, the son of Orion, one of my best friends from my time in the Red Dragons," he said laughing as Ally and I's eyes grew wide.

Erik smiled and took a step forward. "And I do believe that since this conversation is about you, then we should be including you in the conversation," he said. I nodded but kept quite not wanting to delay the conversation any further.

"Why don't we move into my office," Sir Simon said, leading the way to the small office. It only held enough chairs for the three oldest so Ally and I took to standing between the desk and the chairs.

"Why don't you start from the beginning and explain to Sam and Ally what you told us," Andrew said.

Erik nodded. "Alright then," he said then turned to me. "So Sam, like Andrew, said my father Orion and I are part of the Red Dragons. My father is actually the leader at the moment," he said watching Ally and I's eyes widened again in shock. I was slightly confused about how they could help me? We were told the Red Dragons were not taking apprentices. I was about to voice my concerns when Erik answered my question. "Andrew informed me that you have been told that the Red Dragons are no longer accepting apprentices," he told us. "And that would be right," he said, making my heart drop. I knew that this would not bring forth anything good. Erik saw the look and stood up and walked over to me. "However, I believe that I could sway my father to change his mind for you," he said.

Ally squealed. "Really? Sam would love that!" she said.

"Ally, this is not a conversation for ladies," Andrew said. I smiled inwardly because that was exactly what was happening.

Ally nodded. "Sorry," she said, taking a step back.

Erik smiled and shook his head. "Is the young lady right, Sam? Is that something that would interest you?" he asked me.

"Of course. I would be honored to be part of the Red Dragons. I have looked up to them since I was young," I said trying to keep my emotions at bay. "But how will you change your father's mind on the apprenticeship?" I asked.

"You see Sam, a good section of Red Dragons are getting old and will be stepping down in the next few years and we need to maintain our numbers," he explained. "My father knows this, but he is having a hard time trying to find the right replacements. I believe if he sees your talents and knows that Andrew stands behind you then you will have a strong chance," he said. My heart was beating faster than normal. Could it be real? Could I really become a Red Dragon? "Before we move forward I need to know that you are ready for the challenge," Erik said, crossing his arms. "We train hard and are willing to give our lives at any moment to protect the citizens," Erik said. "We put others first, even if we may get harmed or if we must do something that is uncomfortable or unpleasant," he said, narrowing his eyes on me. "Even though you are younger you will get no special treatment, you will be expected to do everything that the rest of us are doing," he said. "Can you handle that?" he asked.