Chapter Sixteen - Seriously! I Don't Even Know You Guys! (e)

"Alakay and I will be the enemy, Louis, Shepherd, and Sam you three will be the protectors," he said.

"Of what?" I asked.

Louis nodded towards where a small box lay closed. "That's our lovely treasure. It's one of our most common practice methods. We have two groups; one going for the treasure and another protecting it. It's simple, but effective training," he said.

We spent nearly four hours on this training drill. We would switch roles and teams. By the time dinner rolled around I felt as though my body was going to collapse then and there. I ate in silence again, but this time it was from pure exhaustion. Benedict chuckled as we stood to take our plates up to the front. I glared at him. "Thanks for the support Ben," I said splashing my plate down in the soapy water making sure that he was standing beside me. He shoved my shoulder laughing as he put his dishes in. "And you!" I said spinning on Alakay. "I thought you said we had an easier day after the morning obstacle course!" I said, jabbing my finger at his chest.

"We normally do when Erik is leading, but Benedict makes things ten times worse," he said, dropping an arm around Sam's shoulder.

"Hey, I just want to make sure we are at the top of our game. Especially now that we have Sam we got to stay on our toes. Gotta show people that the Dragon's don't change just because we have a youth with us," he said.

"Wait! You're saying it was my fault that you tried to kill us today?" I asked with wide eyes.

"Yes," he said bluntly as we walked to an outdoor seating area. "We all see the talent in you. It's rough right now; so it's our job as your brothers to make sure that those talents get dusted off and shine. Plus, I think there are some talents in you that you aren't even aware of yet," he said, taking a seat in one of the many chairs.

"Hey Luke, do you have your mandolin tuned?" Alakay asked, walking over to one of the other Dragons.

I didn't pay attention as I sunk into the chair beside Benedict. "Do you really think you see talents in me?" I asked.

Benedict nodded slowly. "We all do. Orion wouldn't have let you even have a trial run if he didn't think you stood a chance. There is something different about you, Sam. You are different then any youth I think any of us have met and that is what the Red Dragon's needed. We aren't your typical group so we can't have your typical wannabe warriors," he said. I nodded without speaking.

"Sam! Come here," Alakay called from the center of the circle.

I raised an eyebrow not moving. "What do you want?" I asked from my seat.

"Just come here," he said, not moving forward.

"No, come here and tell me what you want first," I said, crossing my arms. Alakay sighed, stalking over to me and swiftly pulling me to my feet. I stumbled to get my footing as he dragged me to where Luke was standing with his mandolin. "That's a very fine instrument. Are we going to have a bit of after-dinner entertainment?" Looking up at Luke who chuckled. I didn't like the sound of that. He glanced at Alakay who had a wide grin on his face. "Um... no... I don't think I want to join whatever it is the two of you are thinking," I said trying to back up, but Alakay caught my wrist.

"I told you last night you had a lot to learn. We only have two weeks to whip you into shape and get you ready for your first royal ball. We start lessons now," he said and nodded to Luke who started to play a song that I had often heard was related to the waltz.

"Did you not hear me say that I was practically dead on my feet? There is no way that I am going to dance tonight," I said, trying to shake myself free of Alakay who stood with a grin on his face.