Chapter Thirty-Three: That Man Was My Father

As I was walking through the castle courtyard, I heard hushed voices coming from around the corner. I could see Nate's back, but the person he was speaking to was in the shadows. "Are you sure that the majority are leaving in three days?" The shadowed voice hissed.

"That's what the king told his son this morning. The oldest prince and the king himself will be leaving," Nate said, his body language tense as he spoke.

"You better not have this wrong, Nate. Your uncle is counting on this information and you know how he gets if he doesn't have what he wants," the voice said. Uncle? What was going on here?

"I know. I told you what I know. The Dragons are sending all but eight of their men out," Nate said, crossing his arms and pulling them close to his body.

"La Fray will be glad to hear that. It won't be long before this is over and your uncle will join you," the man said. "Now, keep your head about you and make sure you keep up with the loyalist act you've seemed to have perfected. If I didn't know you, I might actually believe you cared for this city and its people. Although, anyone with La Fray's blood can only care about themselves," he chuckled before slipping away.

Without thinking I pulled my sword and spun around the corner putting the edge of the sword to Nate's neck. "I knew you couldn't be trusted... you're the inside man. You are La Fray's nephew..." I said, keeping my breathing steady as I held him in place.

Nate put his hands up backing against the wall as far away from the sword as he could. "Sam, please listen," he whispered.

Slowly shaking my head I spoke. "How could you betray your king and your country like this? How could you betray Chloe like this? She trusted you... she stood up for you when I said there was something about you that wasn't right." Keeping his eyes on me he slowly lowered his hand and placed it on the top of the sword pushing it away from his neck. Letting him have space, I took a step back, but kept my sword at a point where if he moved he'd impale himself.

"Your right. La Fray is my uncle and what I've done has betrayed my country and Chloe, but you need to listen to me," Nate said, his voice calm.

"You have my undivided attention... speak," I said.

He nodded, but stopped when his nod brought his neck close to my sword. "I've been under my uncle's care for many years. I've seen him do unthinkable things and have detested it all. As a child, I didn't know how to stand up and do anything about it. When he made us raid Hillsdale I finally understood that I couldn't keep hiding in the shadows letting him harm people. Each time I tried to leave, he'd drag me back. For the most part, he didn't have me involved in what he was doing... until Hillsdale, when I was forced to go on the raid. It was then that I was told that my uncle had discovered that a man in your village knew where the last heir to the throne was... that the head of the village had been keeping watch over the lost princess for thirteen years. When he said to kill anyone, especially the girls... I knew I couldn't do it anymore," he said, starting to sweat.

I clenched my jaw as he mentioned my papa. "That man was my father! Your uncle had my father killed... he had my entire village wiped out," I said, a tear running down my cheek.

"Wait! Your father was the village leader? No... he only had two daughters... we did our research..." Nate said then looked at me. "You aren't a boy," he said. It wasn't a question, he knew.

"Yes, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that you are a traitor and that it's time you face what you have brought. When you first came to Jarrow you could have come to King Philip and told him. Could have helped us stop your uncle, but you didn't," I said taking a deep breath.

"Your right... but then he would have sent someone else to take my place. To be his eyes and ears. I know he doesn't fully trust me and I know that I am not the only one he has in place feeding him information. I can't name anyone right now, but if you give me a few days I will bring those names to you... but if you take me now they won't trust me and it will all be lost," he said. Our eyes met and neither spoke as I tried to figure out if his words could be trusted.

Slowly nodding I lowered my sword. "You spared my sister's life, so I will do the same for you. You have five days to get me the names of those working for La Fray," I said putting my sword back.

Nate nodded. He went to walk away, but slowly turned. "Sam, was your father really the head of Hillsdale?" He asked.

I nodded. "And your uncle had him murdered," I said and walked off.

Nates POV:

I watched as Sam put her sword back. A thought entered my mind as I walked away. Slowly turning back I asked, "Sam, was your father really the head of Hillsdale?"

She nodded. "And your uncle had him murdered," she said and walked off.

Standing frozen to the spot the pieces came together. Sam was the girl that my uncle had spent the past thirteen years looking for. Chloe had said that her brother, well sister, was adopted at the age of one, thirteen years ago. Thinking of the picture hanging in my uncle's house, I saw King Antonio and Queen Caroline's faces staring back at me. Although quite torn where my uncle had thrown countless knives at it, I could still see their faces and as they merged I could clearly see Sam... or Scarlett as her true name was. Taking a deep breath I made a promise to myself. No more would I let my uncle harm people for his own twisted plans. Today, I was making a stand to help bring peace to Jarrow. Knowing that the secret I held would be too much for Sam to bear right now I had to help bring my uncle to justice, then I would help Sam confront her true identity as Princess, and heir to the throne of Jarrow.