Chapter Twenty-Seven: Or Should I Say Samantha? (e)

Three weeks went by quickly. The morning of the ball I woke up coughing. "I'm on my deathbed; I can't go," I said.

Alakay narrowed his eyes and lay a hand on my forehead. "You aren't even hot," he said.

I hit his hand away. "But I am coughing up a lung, so please leave me here to die," I said, laying back down.

Benedict walked over and stood above me looking down. "Just take it easy and let's see how you are this evening. You do need to eat," he said, pulling my covers off. I groaned as I stood up and followed them to breakfast. Like Benedict said it was an easier day. Well, physically. We were working on geography again.

"I am pretty sure this is making me sicker," I said, looking at the map. We spent the entire day inside talking about geography and different strategies for different types of terrain.

Sooner then I had hoped it was time to get ready for the ball. "I really don't think I should risk getting people sick," I said, sitting on my bed as the guys got dressed.

Benedict walked over and stood above me. "Have you kept all your food down?" He asked and I nodded. "Have you felt dizzy?" He asked. I shook my head. "And we know you don't have a temperature," he said reaching into my closet and pulling out my uniform. "Get dressed and come with us. If you're coughing gets worse you can come back. It wouldn't look good for us to not come because you have a little cough. Too many people are expecting all of us to be there," he said, handing me the uniform. "We leave in ten minutes. You aren't dressed by then, we'll help you," he said and walked off.

I groaned as I stood and did as I was told. The ride to the castle was quieter than normal. I was frustrated that my brothers were making me come. I really didn't feel well and to top it off I was facing the curse of the women. Maybe if I had told them that, then they would have let me stay but it would have been more painful to tell my brothers about my body's functions than to have to suffer through the ball. When we reached the castle, I put a smile on my face and followed everyone inside quickly parting from them and finding my friends. I may not have wanted to be here but at least it meant spending time with them.

"So your sister is getting along quite nicely with Nate," Kole said as we stood watching the dancers; Chloe and Nate being one of the couples dancing.

"And yet another reason I didn't want to come," I mumbled.

James raised an eyebrow. "A little brotherly protectiveness going on?" He asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I guess you could put it that way. There is something about him I don't trust, but Chloe seems to be quite taken by him," I said, turning and finding my own dance partner. After a few more dances my body informed me it was time to rest. I slipped into a corner and slid down intent on resting and watching the dancers. I watched as Erik took his turn dancing with Chloe. "At least he'd be someone I trust," I thought watching them dance. My eyes became heavier and soon I felt my body sliding further down the wall. A slight gasp escaped my mouth as I felt strong arms pick me up.

"Shh, it's just me. I'm going to take you back to rest," a calming voice said. I yawned as I lay my head on the shoulder of who was holding me. A comfort washing over as I felt the warmth of the embrace.

Another yawn escaped my mouth as I stretched out. Confusion entering into my mind as the bedding was unfamiliar. My eyes blinked open and took in the room that was very much not my own. I quickly sat up. My eyes falling onto the chair sitting in the corner a figure slowly rose.

"You're safe Sam... or should I say, Samantha," Erik said coming into view.

I gasped as I looked down at my chest to find I was in a nightgown, unbounded, realizing that I was laying in Erik's bed. "Erik," I said looking up at him not knowing what to do next.

Erik stared at me in silence. "You lied... you and your brothers lied," he said. My brothers, if he knew they lied this could risk their futures as well.

"Please, do whatever you must to me... but let my brothers be. They had nothing to do with the lies. It was all me," I said, standing up as tears came to my eyes.

Erik shook his head. "They had just as much to do with it as you. You started the lie they joined," he said arms crossed. "They defended you last night. Do you even remember what happened?" He asked.

I slowly shook my head. "Not much... we were at the ball. I said I didn't want to go... they made me. I danced for a while then found a corner. I was drifting off to sleep when I was picked up. I thought it was one of my brothers. Then I woke up here," I said.

Erik didn't respond right away. "It was me who picked you up. Your friend James said you didn't look like you were doing well. I came over and carried you back here on the horse, I felt your bounded chest so I brought you here thinking you had an injury none of you mentioned. To my shock there was something that you didn't tell us, not an injury though," he said glancing at my chest. "Soon your brothers came running. Worried about you. They said you hadn't been feeling well and they would take care of you, but it was too late . . . your secret was out. They told me you'd agreed to come to my father and me, but they stopped you. They stood up for you as you stood up for them," Erik said he nodded to the chairs. "Sit, tell me your side," he said calmly. The emotions behind his eyes were far from calm.

I hesitantly followed and took a seat. Then told my story. From the attack to how I wound up here as a girl. "I'm sorry for keeping you in the dark. But with the view that so many have on women, I had little choice. I could have taken a position as a dishwasher or stable hand, but even those usually go to boys. I have little skill as a woman. It has always been a dream to be a Dragon or at least a knight. I want to defend my people. What I have done is wrong. Please, do not hold it against my brothers, but do to me whatever you must," I said lowering my head. There was a long silence. My body shook as I waited.

Erik stood and as I stood he motioned me to stay. "You'll stay in here. I need time to consider what's next," he said and with that he walked out of the room.

I let myself unravel, tears flowing. When my brothers found out I should have gone to Orion and Erik. At least then my brothers could have kept their positions, but it felt as though the five of us would be soon cast out.