Chapter Thirty-One: One Night... One Dress (e)

"You have to take it easy Sam," Shepherd said as I stood at the starting line of the obstacle course, knowing that when the timer was flipped that I would not be running. It had been three weeks since my ride with James and Kole. The first week back in Jarrow passed quickly as I had many conversations with Isabella, James, and Kole about being a girl and what that meant for our friendship. However, these past two weeks had been tough. I was rested enough to want to go back to training, but the healer had told me that I needed to avoid strenuous activities. The only training I was allowed to do was with the maps. I'd argued that that training was causing me more pain but my pleas were ignored.

"I know... I'm just so restless," I said with a sigh.

"Just be glad you have a few weeks off. Don't worry when Archibald gives the all-clear we'll whip you into shape," Alakay said with a grin.

I shook my head, grabbing the timer and flipping it over. "Go," I said laughing as I watched the four stumble off.

A week later, I was on the edge of my seat looking at Archibald the healer. He'd just finished my four weeks check-up. "Am I cleared to train? Can I get back to what I'm meant to be doing?" I asked with wide eyes.

Archibald shook his head. "You are too excited to pick up the sword. A lady of your age should be focused on learning the ways of the house," he said. My heart dropped. Archibald had been informed of my identity since he had to treat my wounds. His words cut. I knew many people still thought a woman's role was to be in the house, but I hoped that my skills and how I'd been doing as a Dragon would change that. A small smile pulled at Archibald's lips. "Sam, I understand your desire to train and protect. I think it an honorable role. I am granting you permission to return to training," he said, shaking his head as I jumped to my feet. He held up his hand and motioned for me to sit back down. "You still aren't completely healed and won't be for a few months. You need to take it easy and not train too hard. You can train from breakfast to lunch but then need to rest. In a month we will revisit and see if we can extend your training," he said.

Nodding in understanding, I thanked him for his help and promised I'd do my best to take it easy. In my mind, I felt his words were unfair and untrue. I was strong enough to train all day. Not wanting to be on restrictions any longer, I had to at least follow his instructions until I could prove I was ready to return fully to my training. Jogging over to the arena where my brothers were practicing sword combat, I reached for my practice sword. It was lighter than my normal sword and had been provided to me at Archibald's instructions. He didn't think that it was wise to start off training with my actual sword as the weight would be too much. Picking up the sword I shook my head. This was too light. I practically floated over to my brothers, a grin spread across my face.

"Alright, ladies whose first?" I asked, bouncing from foot to foot. Laughing, my brothers stopped what they were doing and turned towards me.

"I'll be the first to knock you back to where you should be," Alakay smirked, stepping up. We squared up and Louis gave the cue to go. I lunged forward, but was too late as Alakay sidestepped and stood behind me. "A little slow are we?" He taunted.

I smiled, shaking my head. "I just don't want to hurt you," I responded. Alakay didn't respond as he took mine as an opening for an attack. As our swords hit my sword flew from my hand and the weight sent me stumbling back and onto my tailbone.

"Sam," Alakay said, dropping down beside me. I waved him off shaking myself off and standing to my feet.

"I guess Archibald was right... I've been off training for a month. I'm not up to normal standards," I said, grimacing as I walked over picking up my sword.