Chapter Thirty-Five: Where Is The Princess? (e)

Nate's POV

Days passed since I brought the information to Sam and the Dragons. No sighting of my uncle's men had come, but there was a sense that it would be soon. Wondering the halls of the castle brought me to the corridor where Chloe would be. I hadn't spoken to her since she had found out about my relations.

"Which room is the princess in?" A voice that haunted my nightmares said.

My heart skipped a beat when the voice that responded was Chloe's. "I don't know... they move her at random times," she said her voice holding strong.

Silently removing my sword I rounded the corner. "Let her go," I said, sword held ready. La Fray chuckled as he looked up to meet my eyes. His fist held tight to Chloe's dress.

"Nate, run!" Chloe called, wiggling in my uncle's grasp.

La Fray's eyes lit up. "Oh? You know each other?" He asked.

"Your fight does not involve Chloe. Let her go," I said again, stepping forward.

"It was harder to get into the castle then expected... like someone had informed the Dragons that we would be coming... but it couldn't have been you could it, nephew?" He asked.

"It doesn't matter who it was... they know. It's over Uncle. You tried but the kingdom will never be yours," I said.

La Fray didn't respond right away as he held Chloe looking at me. "I'm doing this for you, Nate. We are almost there. The kingdom will be ours as soon as we locate the princess," he said.

Shaking my head, I slowly started forward. "Even if you do take over, the people will never be loyal. You will never truly be king. Once the princess comes of age she will take over as it should be," I said lunging forward. Pulling Chloe away, I pushed her behind me.

La Fray stood in shock. "So you have made your choice? You have chosen these people over your blood. So be it" he said then lunged.

Stumbling back I raised my sword just in time. Swords clashing, I knew that my skills would not last long against my uncle. The cuts stung as I was unable to deflect his advances. I felt my sword slip from my grasp and then his hands were intertwined in my shirt.

His eyes burning into mine. "You and I could have ruled this kingdom together. Do you recall the lesson I taught you after Hillsdale?" He asked, backing me against the wall.

"You don't have to do this," I said.

He chuckled a humorless laugh. "This is the way. It should have been this way from the beginning," he said, removing his dagger. "The lesson was 'grab'," he said, tightening his hold on my shirt. "'Stab'," he said slowly sliding his dagger into my chest. "And 'push'," he said, shoving me to the ground. "You could have stood beside me..." he said, shaking his head. "Have your moment with him... he'll be dead soon," La Fray said to Chloe before picking up his sword and strolling down the hall.

I felt darkness coming. Then felt warmth as I felt Chloe beside me holding my hand. "I'm sorry I didn't stand up to him sooner," I coughed.

She shook her head holding my hands as tears streamed down her face. "You'll have time to make it up. You're going to be okay," she cried.

Shaking my head I gave her hand a squeeze. "Your right... I'm going to be fine... I won't have to face any more pain this world holds... but these are my final moments in this world. Chloe..." I said coughing as I tried to find breath for words.

"Shh, just focus on breathing. Don't talk," Chloe said, trying to bring comfort.

"It's your sister... your sister who is going to be the change... your sister is..." I said, but could not finish as darkness took over.