Six

"Thank you for your time, Ms. Jones. We'll be seeing you soon." Walking out of the board room, Serenity felt a headache brewing. It'd been a week since the shoot out and it's been nonstop interviews and paper work.

Luckily, there were cameras in the parking garage and near the gas station so she wasn't being charged with any of the murders.

"Serenity, why don't you take the rest of the day off. Tate's out with the reconstruction crew for the island square murder, I'm sure he can handle it." Mr. Gandy poked his head into her office. Nodding, she powered off her computer and began to pack away her things.

Because her apartment had been destroyed, she was stuck in a hotel for the time being. Luckily the agency allowed her to pick which she wanted so she obviously went for the more luxurious.

Stepping into her room on the 13th floor, she placed her purse on the hook before slipping off her heels. Immediately she connected her phone to the speaker system in the room and began playing Sweet Love by Anita Baker. It had been her favorite song lately and her hips moved along to the beat as she sung along.

"There's no stronger love in this world, oh baby, you're my man. I'm your girl." She leaned her head back as she visualized herself in a music video. She laughed as her voice cracked trying to reach the same note.

Stepping into the kitchen, she began taking items out to make herself dinner. Pork chops, rice, and sweet corn sounded good at the moment. Her phone shuffled her playlist as she worked on her meal, each old jam that came on making her feel carefree and happy.

"Incoming call from Lucas" the robotic voice booming through the speakers made her jump before she picked up her phone from the counter.

"Hello?"

"You let Tate handle the island square case?" She quickly flipped her pork chop in the pan before it could burn.

"No, Gandy told me he'd handle it so I went home."

"He's making an ass out of your department. I know he's new but come on, how can you not know you're responding to a murder scene." Serenity could hear the frustration in his voice. She placed the phone between her ear and shoulder as she scooped butter into a pan of water on the stove. Seasoning followed before she dropped in 4 ears of corn.

"Wait, what do you mean?"

"He showed up, saw the scene and basically shut down. Kid threw up near the body, luckily the scene had already been thoroughly inspected and documented. Then went around touching stuff without gloves. I don't know how much more I can take." Serenity wanted to laugh as she pictured Tate fumbling around a bloody murder scene.

"Sounds like a whole lot of not my problem. You guys are the ones securing the scene, tell him keep his hands to himself."

"You can't come down for an hour or so? Please Serenity." She could practically picture his puppy dog eyes. Looking down at the golden pork chops in the pan, her stomach rumbled letting her know she wasn't going anywhere until it was filled.

"See you tomorrow Lucas."

Hanging up the phone, she fluffed her rice before turning the pan off. The water boiled around her corn- the yellow logs wildly floated about.

"Smells good in here." The sudden breaking of silence caused her to jump-the lid previously in her hand now shattered on the floor. She spun around only to be met by the man who'd been ruining her life.

"How'd you get in here? You know what, I don't care. Get out!" She stepped over the broken lid and pointed to the door with her fork.

"Well that's no way to speak to your guest, bella. I see we have to work on that." He smoothly stepped around her and began eyeing the food on the stove.

"Excuse you!" She stabbed the fork into his back trying to guide him away from the stove.

"Ahh, merda. So violent." He smirked down at her as he grabbed her wrist to remove the fork from his skin. Serenity felt her eyebrows shoot to her hairline. Was he really calling her violent? The man who ruthlessly murdered for the sake of making a public statement.

"Oh! I know you're not talking about violent. You're the absolute last person who should be lecturing about violence." She rolled her eyes as she snatched her wrist from his grip. Suddenly the realization of how comfortable she was speaking with him swept over her. The man before her was the most wanted man in America and yet, as he stood not even 5 feet from her, she felt completely at ease.

"As much as I'd love to debate with you all night, bella, I didn't come just to admire your brains and beauty. We need to talk." He brushed some hair behind her ear before Serenity had time to react. Her body froze as he scanned her face, an odd softness and contentment in his eyes.

Stepping from the embrace, Serenity focused back on the corn tumbling in the hot water.

"There's nothing to talk about. You are a criminal and I take people like you down. The past week you've been nothing but a pain in my ass. You know, your group of yesmen almost killed me!" She gripped the edge of the counter in anger as she remembered how close she'd been to dying the last two weeks.

"And they've been dealt with accordingly." His eyes darkened and Serenity knew exactly what he meant as she'd already seen what he would do to men who betrayed him.

"I never intended for you to be in any danger, bella. If I wanted to hurt you I wouldn't be standing here trying to reason with you." The statement made Serenity want to punch him in the mouth. If he didn't want her to be in danger then he'd leave her the hell alone.

"You might want to step back before I punch you in your mouth for that stupid ass shit you just said to me." She warned as she held her hands behind her back to keep from spazzing. The laughter that fell from his lips stirred deep within her belly and sent chills up her neck.

"That's why I like you, you know. I've never met a woman as fierce as you. I mean, you stand here with first hand experience on what I can and have done to people for far less and yet you speak to me as if you don't care. You've shot at me countless times and have managed to outshoot and kill some of my best. I think you were made just for me, Serenity." His arm snaked around her waist and pulled her into his chest. Serenity felt the stirring in her belly once more at the hunger in his eyes.

"I wasn't made for you or any other man. I'm an FBI agent, Angelo. You and I would never, ever, ever work out so get that through your thick skull. Now get off me." She pushed against his chest and took a step out of his embrace. Turning back to the boiling pot, she stirred the corn before turning the heat off.

"Gesù, bella, you turn me on like no other." Serenity felt her breathing hitch as he pressed himself into her backside. His hands traced circles on her arms, the thin dress shirt doing little to stop the tingles spreading through her.

"Angelo." She called in warning as she felt him trail his lips along her neck.

"Hmm?" The tone of the remark was innocent yet the way he was making her feel was the exact opposite.

"Y-you're absolutely crazy if you think this is happening." What she thought would be a strong statement came out breathlessly as he suckled her tender skin.

"Then it's a good thing I'm absolutely deranged."

————