Twenty Eight

"Serenity, you can't continue to blame yourself for this. It'll never go away, but it will become easier to bare." She nodded in understanding.

After two months of trying to handle her grieving on her own, she spiraled into a deep depression. Long nights of drunk crying and taking her frustrations out on others lead to her being put on leave from her position. Tate, like the angel he was, took over both of their caseloads and even gave her his vacation time for the year.

She couldn't bring herself to be in the presence of Angelo any longer. Surprisingly, he granted her wish and kept his distance, but always checked in on her.

"I think that's time, but remember what we've been working on. You're an incredibly strong woman, Serenity. This does not define you." Standing from the plush couch, she embraced her psychologist.

Dr. Beal had been her psychologist for the last ten months and slowly worked to crack through her shell. He had his own private practice and was a friend of Frank's. If Frank trusted the man, then so did Serenity. She spilled her deepest secrets, detailing from the night that lead her down this path to the many nights of drinking her sorrows away.

He'd worked tirelessly to help her see this wasn't her fault- allowing her to take the drivers seat in healing herself from the inside out. It had been difficult to accept that she'd have to live with this secret for the rest of her life but she knew it was for the best.

"Thank you so much. See you next week." She smiled as she exited the office. They had moved from meeting almost every day to a set schedule of once a week. She'd developed skills to aid in her own healing, had gotten her job back, and even bought herself a new home.

Her phone vibrated in her hand- a text from Angelo. After every session, he always checked in to send encouragement her way. It had been saddening to her at first, but in the process of forgiving herself, she forgave him.

"Can we meet somewhere?" This was the first time she'd responded to his messages and calls within the last year. A response immediately popped up.
...

Walking through the cafe, she took a seat at a booth in the back. It was small and filled with pictures from the past. The theme mirrored them as everything was black and white.

The bell above the door chimed and butterflies appeared in her stomach. Seconds later, Angelo cam around the corner, his strides confident and his eyes immediately finding hers. Her breathing sped up the closer he got.

"Hi." She spoke as he slid into the seat across from her. He looked at her as if a day hadn't passed- that fire of love still burning.

"Hello, Serenity." Her name on his tongue now foreign, it's deep tone stirring up her unconscious feelings once more. She opened her mouth as if to speak but found no words formulated. In her mind words scrambled to form but to no avail.

"How are you?" He questioned at her silence. Hands folded on the table, his full attention on her.

"I've been...good actually. I'm slowly but surely healing. Learning to forgive and cope in a healthy way." She nodded at her own words. A small smile appeared on his face. "How about you?"

"I'm okay." The shortness of his response made her frown slightly. Although she knew she had very right to focus on herself, she felt sad that they didn't work out. Angelo truly did love her unlike any she'd ever experienced causing her own foreign form of love to develop.

"What's been going on? Tell me more." She inquired as she leaned closer to the table and in turn closer to him. The smile on his face brightened- Serenity stared- her heart beating rapidly at how handsome Angelo was. At 35 he still looked like a 23 year old, fresh out of college.