Ten

Serenity scanned the restaurant, her eyes searching for the familiar face.

"What's it say? Let me see." She quickly snatched the card off the table and pulled it into her lap.

"It's just some guys number. Let's just enjoy our dinner." Lucas didn't look convinced but knew to drop it if she didn't want to talk about it.

Although they had gotten back into their normal conversation, her eyes still scanned the restaurant.

"So I told him, I don't want to go in first and you know what the fucker does? He pushes me in!" Lucas threw his hands up as he told the story. Serenity nodded in mock interest as she kept her eye on the exits of the restaurant. If Angelo had seen her outfit then he was surly in the restaurant.

"That's crazy." She said lightly as she briefly made eye contact with him before finishing the wine in her glass. Before Lucas could respond, a back door in the restaurant opened and in walked Angelo. Immediately all eyes seem to gravitate to the scene as he walked with a group of equally large men, all dressed in sleek black suits. However, Serenity couldn't take her eyes off the woman locked on to Angelo's arm.

Jealousy bubbled up in her throat before she swallowed it down. They weren't and would never be together, he was free to do what ever and who ever he pleased. Remembering the card, Serenity made a note to mention his hypocrisy to him.

"I'm starting to think you're the bad luck." She snapped her head back to Lucas. He had a smile on his face as he looked between her and the group of men now seated at a large booth in the back.

"What? What are you talking about?" Reaching out, she went to pour more wine in her glass but Lucas beat her to it.

"Thank you." She whispered before picking up the glass.

"I just meant every time I'm with you I seem to encounter the Costello family." He laughed lightly as he took a bite of his food, stirring the soup absentmindedly.

"Oh really? Did we run into criminals when we went to CVS to get more shaving cream for your back?" She cocked her head to the side, the wine glass covering her wide smile.

"You're never going to let me live that down, huh?" He smiled down at her, his cheeks tinted pink in embarrassment.

"Not till the day we die." She giggled. Her body felt warm with joy. Lucas was one of the few people in her life that always managed to make her feel safe and happy no matter what was going on. Although she hadn't known him for more than a year, she felt as if they'd been friends for years.

He reached across the table to take her hand softly- his eyes reflected the emotions she felt.

"May that day be far, far away." The softness in his voice nearly made Serenity cry. She ran her thumb across the back of his hand, her heart aching at the thought of losing him. It was something they often didn't talk about but knew in their heads that they would probably die on duty sooner than later.

"Excuse me, I don't mean to interrupt, but I just wanted to tell you that you guys are so adorable. I can tell that you really love each other from the gaze you share." Looking up, the pair found the woman who'd been on Angelo's arm. Serenity wanted to vomit seeing how beautiful the woman really was up close.

 Serenity wanted to vomit seeing how beautiful the woman really was up close