Thirty Nine

Waking up, Serenity wasn't surprised to find herself alone. The warmth of Angelo's embrace now gone- her body covered in goosebumps from the chilly morning air. Gathering her towel, she quickly showered and got herself ready for the day- her outfit a pair of baggy grey sweats and a black camisole.

"Good morning, Frank!" She called in excitement as she made it to the dining room. He looked better this time, his hair swept back and a crisp t-shirt on his body.

Luckily for her, only the Costello men sat around the table. Genevieve had been sent to stay at one of Angelo's penthouses. Having her so close was making Serenity crazy, so Angelo happily packed her up.

"Good morning, tesoro. And good morning to you mio bellissimo nipote." He cooed as he smiled at her bump. Frank had nearly hurt himself jumping around when he found out Serenity was pregnant- the display of energy a warming sight.

Turning to head towards the kitchen, she stopped as the door swung open and Vinni stepped out. A thick silence fell over them as they simply stared at one another. Serenity's mind replayed his words and she searched his eyes for any sigh of what he truly felt.

"Morning." He dryly grumbled before stepping around her.

"Wait," she grabbed on to his sleeve to stop him from entering the dining room fully, "c-can we talk later?"

Serenity wasn't even sure what she wanted to talk about but they needed to sit down and figure it out. Vinni looked hesitant, his eyes finally connecting with hers, before he nodded in agreement. Stepping closer to him, she opened her arms for a hug, frowning as he took a step back- his head hanging slightly.

"Vinni." She called out to him. A part of her hurt deeply at his sudden distance while another part understood his need for boundaries.

"Serenity, I-I can't." He whispered back shaking his head lightly. Wrapping her arms around herself she bit her lip at the sting of rejection before turning to enter the kitchen. Her eyes scanned the assortment of food- their smells lifting her spirit slightly.

Reaching into the cabinet for a plate, her hand was stopped by another reaching over hers. Turning slightly she noticed it was Vinni and let him grab the plate down for her.

"Thanks." She spoke as he placed the white ceramic on the counter. Vinni wrapped his hand around her arm before she could flee and pulled her into his chest. Her head began spinning at the change in pace and she held her breath as he stared down at her- pure emotion within his eyes.

Placing his hands on each side of her face, he quickly dipped down, his lips barely grazing her own. Serenity felt like her heart was going to beat out of her chest- her body frozen in place. Her eyes widened as she stared up at him but his eyes remained on her lips.

"Vinni..." she called in warning but it was silenced as he connected their lips. Shame filled her as sparks shot down her spine and her eyes closed. Vinni kissed her slowly, his emotions within every touch, and he stepped closer as he dipped his tongue into her mouth. All felt right in that moment and her head fell back to give him more access- her hands holding his wrists.

The scraping of a chair broke the spell they seemed to be under and the pair quickly separated. Guilt immediately attacked her stomach and she turned her head away from him. Vinni cursed softly before quickly fleeing from the kitchen- not sparing her another glance.

Was it possible for her to have feeling for them both? She shook the thought from her head, dismissing her pull to Vinni as a desperate need for affection. It wasn't right to play with any of their feelings that way and she made up her mind that she'd have to be truthful with Angelo.