Forty Seven

"Luciano, get your shoes baby." Serenity tiredly expressed. Since she'd been working on the case, she hadn't been able to get any sleep. The thought of her son being next keeping her awake.

Sitting in Italy, not being able to physically get into the case was driving her crazy. She wanted to cut her trip short and go straight to her office but she knew that would be rude.

"Where they go?" He questioned scratching his stomach. A wave of irritability washed over her before she quickly pushed it down- it wasn't her sons fault she wasn't sleeping well and she wasn't going to take it out on him.

"I'm not sure, baby. How about we go look for them together?" She softly spoke before reaching her hand out to lead him upstairs. The weight of her body felt entirely too heavy and all she wanted to do was sleep.

"Serenity." The seriousness of the voice made her jump and she placed Luciano behind her- the cloud of sleep now gone and her mind clearer. The man at the bottom of the stairs quickly threw his hands up as her hand reached for her weapon. "Don would like to see you."

She rolled her eyes before kissing Luciano on the head. "Go sit in the living room while I talk to your daddy."

"Can I come?" He questioned, his face excited.

"No baby. Mommy will only be one second. Promise." Luciano stomped his foot, a cry of protest escaping him. He crossed his arms across his chest and began to pout.

"Luciano. What did I just say? Don't make me tell you again." She stared down at him, her face showing how serious she was about what would happen if she had to ask again. Luciano's fake tears stopped and he nodded quickly before high tailing it down the stairs.

Taking a deep breath, she made her way towards his office. Knocking on the door was useless as it flew open the second she raised her hand.

"Nice to meet you. Name's Kenny." The man spoke quite softly as he held a hand out for her to enter the room. She nodded unable to formulate a sentence. Angelo sat on the edge of his desk, a litter of black folders spilled across the top and she almost smiled at how similar it looked to her own.

"You wanted to see me, Don?" She mocked, a smirk on her face as Angelo rolled his eyes. Approaching her, he wrapped his arms around her waist, his lips immediately finding her own. Shock filled her at the feeling of the kiss- it was almost as if he was kissing her to promise something.

"I love you, Serenity Jones. Till the end of time and beyond." He whispered against her lips. Panic filled her at the desperation in his voice.

"What's going on?" She questioned as she tried to take a step back. Angelo tightened his grip on her.

"I need to hear you say it." He pleaded with her. She'd never really seen him this distraught and it made her even more upset. Placing her hands on his face, her natural instinct to coddle people kicked in. Rubbing his cheeks with her thumbs lightly she placed kisses along his forehead and down his nose.

"I love you too, Angelo. Everything will be just fine okay? It's all gonna be okay." She whispered placing a soft kiss to his lips. Angelo's arms tightened around her and he laid his forehead against hers.

"I have to show you something." He whispered out- hesitation in his voice. Stepping back he grabbed a folder and she noticed the trembling of his digits. Bile filled her throat as she realized nothing good could come of this revelation.

Taking the folder from him, she noticed the apprehension in his eyes. The folder contained the crime scene photos she'd seen when she got fully briefed on the case- the sight causing her to turn away. The imagine of Luciano's head on her doorstep that plagued her nightmares now displayed itself like a poster on the back of her eyelids.