Forty Nine

"Luciano, you better not!" Serenity cackled as she watched through her phone as her son jumped into the pool. Two large dogs followed, their paws paddling them closer to Luciano before they dragged him back towards the shallow end.

Angelo had given in to Luciano's will after he begged for nearly every dog at the local shelter, allowing him to bring home two. Rocky, a blue nose pit bull, and Spot, a cane corso, were adult dogs that'd been given to the shelter because they were considered 'dangerous'. It wasn't long before the dogs not only bonded with Luciano but with each other as well- the three now inseparable.

"They've been at it all day." Angelo laughed behind the camera as the dogs chased Luciano around the pool. Serenity's heart swelled as she realized how happy her son was.

"Yeah I bet. Luciano probably tires them out with all that running around." Taking a sip from her wine glass, Serenity set her phone up against the candle on her coffee table. What Angelo couldn't see was all the cases littering the floor and her obsessive writing littering crumpled papers.

"The boys got energy for days. I can barely keep up." Angelo sighed before turning the camera back to his face. The large smile on his face made her heart flutter and she leaned her head against her knees.

"How is he adjusting?" She questioned softly.

"It's like nothing really happened. He's sticking to the schedule we made, of course there's the occasional slip ups but it's nothing too big. Luciano's a smart boy- takes after his daddy." Angelo mocked as he smirked at her. Serenity rolled her eyes but she couldn't deny the more time they spent together, the more she saw Angelo in Luciano.

"Now we both know that's all my genes." She quirked back. Her laptop dinged with an email- Marvin Phillips listed as the sender- and her hand immediately went to open it before she realized what she was doing.

"Work?" Angelo questioned. Lately, she'd been juggling work and family time. When she was just getting up for work, Angelo would be well into lunch with Luciano. By the time she got off, he'd already have Luciano tucked in for bed.

"Yeah, sorry." She whispered a sympathetic smile on her face. Angelo blew out a breath before he smiled back.

"It's fine- it's what you have to do. I'll call you later?"

"We don't have to hang up!" She rushed out, guilt washing over her. "You can help me." Angelo stared at her in confusion before barking and giggling met her ears. His head turned and a bright smile graced his face.

"Figlio, go inside and get yourself ready for dinner." Rubbing the wet hair from Luciano's forehead, Angelo ushered him inside the house.

"Bye, mama!" Luciano yelled out his tiny hand coming into frame before Angelo angled the camera down. Serenity smiled at her baby before wishing him farewell.

"Now what were you saying?" Angelo's face came back into view and Serenity shook her head.

"Nothing. How are you?" She once more leaned her head against her knees to listen intently.

"I don't want to keep you if you have work to do, bella. Trust me- I promise I won't be upset." Looking down at the cases, her mind wanted to jump back in and continue her work while her heart ached for the time missed with her family. Another email from Marvin appeared on her laptop and her eyebrows furrowed at the subject line.

"I love you, Serenity. Get to work." Before she could protest, Angelo hung up the phone, her lock screen of Luciano now meeting her eyes. Shooting him a text, she turned her attention to her laptop.

She'd reached out to Marvin under the guise of needing resource connections to Milton medical center. In her email, she listed herself as a single mother looking for medical services for those without insurance.