Fifty Three

Six months later

"Please, have a seat." The detective motioned for Tate to sit on the cold, metal seat. He lazily slid on the seat and placed his clasped hands on the table before him- a relaxed look on his face.

"So why don't you start with telling me how you knew Ms. Jones." Placing the recorder on the table, the detective pulled the other seat out and crossed his ankle over his knee.

"I worked with her- brilliant mind. The only person who actually believed in me when I first got this job." He smiled fondly at the tough love he'd experienced from Serenity. It had honestly shaped him into the man he was now- a feat he could never repay her for.

"One of the few in the department who I never felt I had to work ten times as hard to prove I was worthy just because I was gay. Serenity Jones was a great woman- not just in her job but in her character as well." Tate shook his head. It was a shame at what she'd turned into.

"And you mentioned in our last interview, she began to change? Can you elaborate on that?" The detective leaned closer as he prepared for Tate's answer. Once more Tate shook his head as if to say what a shame.

"Serenity had so much potential! God. The woman was the only one who could figure it out. The only one who was willing to get the job done herself. I guess you could argue that was her downfall- too hands on." He now stood from the table and made his way to the two way mirror in the room. There was a calculating look in his eyes and his face was set in a scowl.

"And what do you mean by that?" The detective egged on.

"Like all women she fell prey to a handsome face and heavy pockets." Tate quickly span around- his eyes now held a fury that burned bright like the sun. "While she was smart as a whip at her job, she was dumb to love." He spat the words like it burned his tongue.

"Stupid woman. Fell in love with a man who's known nothing but war and pain and suffering. I tried to play nice! I tried to leave it be! Then. Then! You know what she did?" His voice raised to a yell and his hands balled at his sides so tight, his knuckles turned white.

"She gave birth to his bastard child!" The metal chair met the wall harshly and Tate began breathing like a wild animal. "The man can't even marry her legally because he's a war criminal! Yet, she lays down and bares his child."

"I'm guessing that didn't make you too happy." Tate turned to the detective and narrowed his eyes. Was the man stupid?

"Of course I wasn't! But even then, I tried to be nice. I took care of the boy. I helped her baby proof the house. She told me she was done with Angelo- that she would focus on work and her child. It made sense, she'd made a mistake and now she was owning up to it. I even applauded her for it!" Tate pulled at his hair as he began to pace the room.

"But no. You can never escape the pull of a man like that. He had her trapped before and now with this child, she'd never be able to get away. So I made the decision for her- I was going to free her!" Tate slumped against the wall. The energy he once had now gone and he hung his head.

"You were going to free her from her relationship with Angelo?" The detective cleared up. Tate simply nodded. "But then what happened?"

"She took the boy to Italy. Left him there under the watch of that monster. As long as the two were together, he'd have a hold on her." Tate explained before picking up the toppled chair. Placing it back at the table, he plopped on to it and leaned his head against his hands.

"Why don't we go back to when you said you would free her. What did you mean?" Tate hesitated and his mouth opened and closed slightly.

"I-I was going to, free her from... the boy." He stuttered out. This was the first sign of him being unsure and the detective jumped at the opening.

"So what exactly were you going to do to free her?"

"Don't make me say it, detective. I'm sure you all have probably already found the plan." Tate waved his hand before he began to nervously bite at his nails.

"We have but I want to hear what you have to say. I don't want us to interpret anything wrong." The detective kept his voice low as to not startle Tate out of his confession.

"It hurts to say it out loud. I'm not a bad guy, you know." Tate's eyes glazed over and his leg began to bounce nervously. The detective nodded in acknowledgment before encouraging Tate's words.

"There had been a string of murders- the recent case we were working on. It kind of fit perfectly. Single mothers, no real pattern, no solid evidence or leads. If I mimicked that m.o. it'd be like that guy targeted the person solving his case. No one would look at her partner. I'd make it painless for the boy and Serenity would be free- win win situation." Tate's confession turned into an absentminded mumble as he replayed his plan in his mind. It all seemed so perfect in the moment.

"You just thought you were doing what was right for your friend." Tate nodded sorrowfully. Before anyone could say anything else, a knock on the glass let them both know the interview was over. The detective stood from the table and gathered the recording.

"Just sit tight for a minute, Tate."
...

"Release him." Gandy instructed the detective before he blew out a sigh.

"What? Are you sure? We have a confession." The detective stuttered out as he passed the recording to Gandy. Looking down at the device, Gandy thought long and hard about his decision- his mind racing over all possible outcomes.

"Yeah. He's obviously a nut case and we don't have the capacity for a trial like that. Keep this between us." The detective shrugged before returning to the room to let Tate know he'd be free to go. Closing the interview room, Gandy walked to his office, the recording device heavy in his pocket.

Once at his office, he made sure to lock the door before he hooked the device up to his personal laptop. Downloading the recording he placed it into an encrypted file before smashing the device to bits and dropping them into the boiling coffee pot. Returning to his desk, he opened another firewall protected mailing service before he pasted the file into a new message.

To: Costello bird
'Subject has been returned to civilization. Do as you wish.' 

————